Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Sep 2, 2021 12:30:08 PM

The message sent after finishing said "All that's left to do now is mail your payment.." Why didn't it say I'd deferred my self-employment tax, and include a voucher?

Apparently one of the program windows asked if I wanted to defer 1/2 of the tax. By the time I got through the whole process, I didn't recall that detail. Why not include a simple reminder on the "Good News" message and the appropriate payment voucher form?

0 3 293
3 Replies
Level 7
Sep 2, 2021 1:28:04 PM

Those features are not included in TurboTax.  Would be a nice addition to the program.

Level 15
Sep 2, 2021 2:41:10 PM

There is no voucher for paying the deferred self-employment tax. Go to the following link on the IRS web site for instructions to pay the deferred tax.

How self-employed individuals and household employers repay deferred Social Security tax

The option to defer part of the self-employment tax is new for 2020. The IRS was late issuing the final forms and instructions, so all the tax software companies had to implement it in a rush. They didn't have time to plan it out thoroughly. So it has some rough edges. And it's only for 2020, so it's not worth any effort to improve how the software handles it.

Level 15
Sep 2, 2021 6:27:32 PM

Although the program told you about the need to make payments the IRS just recently made the method to do so available and thus they mailed you this information ... did you not get your letter ?