Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 2:53:27 PM

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What to do if someone else claim my son on thier incom tax without my permission

someone has stolen my son idenity and mines what do i do

0 203 87301
24 Replies
Jun 7, 2019 2:53:30 PM

How can I stop someone else from claiming my kids? Is there a form I can fill out to prevent this from happening?

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 2:53:30 PM

No. All you can do is file your own return. On paper, if necessary.

Level 1
Jun 7, 2019 2:53:32 PM

When you send the paper return do you have to send a note saying that the return rejected due to someone else claiming the dependents?

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 2:53:34 PM

No. Just mail the regular forms

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 2:53:36 PM

If this is a case of some other known person, claiming your and/or your child's tax exemption, rather than actual identity theft, it should be handled differently.

If someone else claimed your child inappropriately, and if they file first, your return will be rejected if e-filed. You would then need to file a return on paper, claiming the child as  appropriate. The IRS will process your return and send you your refund, in the normal time. Shortly (up to a year) thereafter, you'll receive a letter from the IRS, stating that your child was claimed on another return. It will tell you that if you made a mistake to file an amended return and if you didn't make a mistake to do nothing. The other party will get the same letter you did. If one of you doesn't file an amended return, unclaiming the child, the next letter, from the IRS, will require you to provide proof. Be sure to reply in a timely manner.

Winner gets the tax benefits; loser gets to pay the IRS back with penalties and interest.  The custodial parent almost always wins. The non-custodial parent can only claim the child as a dependent if the custodial parent gives permission (on form 8332) or if it's spelled out in a pre 2009 divorce decree.

Jun 7, 2019 2:53:37 PM

yes i would like to know where can i go at to find out who file my child without my permission

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 2:53:39 PM

The IRS will not tell you that.
The usual suspects are:
1. The other parent
2. The child claimed his own exemption
3. Some other member of the household (e.g. grandparent)
4. Someone else the child lived with for part of the year

Jun 7, 2019 2:53:40 PM

Excuse me. But I had the same problem. I found out through the electronical-email that she was claimed already. I am the costudial parent! I filled out the 3949-A form to report the person. Now I sent also a copy of the letter that I got back from the electronic email stating that I couldn't get to claim my daughter because she was already some ones dependent. So do you think I sent the right papers or no??

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 2:53:41 PM

No. That may make trouble for the other person (probably not) but it's not going to get you what you want.
All you have to do is file your tax return. You claim your dependent and what ever tax benefits that dependent entitles you to (Child tax credit, earned Income credit, day Care credit, exemption, Head of Household filing status). The only thing you have to do different is mail a paper return. You cannot e-file.

Jun 7, 2019 2:53:43 PM

Me and  my son  dad  have  a 8332 and his taxes wss rejected  someone  has claim our  son

Jun 7, 2019 2:53:44 PM

form 8342

Jun 7, 2019 2:53:46 PM

But what happen if the custodial parent give the father the right in file the try to tell irs she didnt give the non custodial parent the right ?

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 2:53:47 PM

You lose. The IRS requires the custodial parent to give the non-custodial parent permission, in writing, on IRS form 8332. If you do not have a signed form 8332, you never had permission.

Jun 7, 2019 2:53:49 PM

What happens if your support agreement says the non custodial parent claims the child every other year? The judge ordered this with the pretense that her father would see her during the year he has still not seen her in 3 years filing for 2 based on the court order because I didn't want to get into trouble for claiming her. Should i be claiming her?

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 2:53:50 PM

Yes & no. If there is a court order giving the exemption (dependency) to the other parent, you should obey the court order. However, you are still  allowed to claim the child for certain tax benefits.  There is a special rule in the case of divorced & separated (including never married) parents. When the non-custodial parent is claiming the child as a dependent/exemption/child tax credit; the custodial parent is still allowed to claim the same child for Earned Income Credit, Head of Household filing status, and day care credit. This "splitting of the child" is not available to parents who lived together at any time during the last 6 months of the year; then only one of you can claim the child for any tax reasons. The tax benefits may not be split in any other manner.

Note in particular that the non-custodial parent can never claim the Earned Income Credit, Head of Household filing status or the day care credit, based on that child, even when the custodial parent has released the exemption to him. You should probably let him know if you will be claiming these items so he doesn't try.
Ref: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch03.html#en_US_2014_publink1000170897">http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch03.html#en_US_2014_publink1000170897</a>

Jun 7, 2019 2:53:52 PM

what if a person claims his girlfriends kids and they are not married and they are not his kids and she did not allow him to and when she filed for 2015 her taxes was rejected and has not filed yet

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 2:53:53 PM

The answer is the same.  She needs to send in a paper return. It is not too late to file a 2015 return. If she claims her kids, it will trigger an IRS "audit" of his return. If she has no income, then her boyfriend doesn't need her permission, if he meets the dependency rules, mostly that he lived with the children all year. However he can't claim them if she sent the biological father permission on IRS form 8332.
The child may qualify as the boy friend's dependent, but because he is not related, he cannot be a qualifying child for the earned income credit, child tax credit or Head of Household filing status.

Jun 7, 2019 2:53:55 PM

My daughter's boyfriend claimed her kids with out her permission in 2015. I claimed her  but did not claim the kids because of it. What can we do to report him and attempt to get that money since it was from the previous year?

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 2:53:56 PM

You file an amended 2015 return claiming the kids. That will send the IRS after the boyfriend to make him pay back what he got. They will send you an additional refund based on your claiming the kids. At some point you may have to prove the kids lived with you.
Filing a return (in you case an amended return) will accomplish both of your purposes: 1. report him &  2. Get you that money

Jun 7, 2019 2:53:58 PM

Same question but, What if the custodial parent is illegal and receives welfsre, and child support and the child support judge told her that she couldn't claim my son on taxes and if she did it again she would get fraud charges put on her? The judge told me that I have my son 50% of the time plus the support I pay make it where I handle over 75% and that my ex couldn't legally file taxes and she needed to stop allow others to use his social security number. How can I go after her?

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 2:53:59 PM

The IRS will not honor a court order. They go by their own rules, which is that whomever the child lives with the most has first claim.
Your only remedy is to take her back to court

Jun 7, 2019 2:54:01 PM

what is the child support judge told the custodial parent that she was not legally allowed to claim my son on her taxes or give his number to her friends to claim (like she has done so many times before thats why the judge told her she couldnt do that) the custodial parent has no legal right to work in the US and she gets welfare so she doesnt claim taxes herself she allows others to claim him or she files with a fake social security number what do we do then?

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 2:54:02 PM
Jun 7, 2019 2:54:04 PM

But if the other parent files without my permission and i wanna find out how i can't file I'm on social security and i need to know if my ex husband is using my kids info what do i do?