Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 3:00:47 PM

Tax Year Prior to 2020: How do I Add another W2?

I was able to enter two of my W2's by clicking ADD. However, I just my third and final W2 but the ADD button is no longer there.
Thanks!

0 26 9824
24 Replies
Jun 7, 2019 3:00:49 PM

I too had 3 W2's to enter, which were done at seperate times where I was required to log back in. Follow "Turbo Tax Will's" instructions and don't panic! I did and it was unnecessary. It's there if you didn't submit your returns. I'm proof!

Jun 7, 2019 3:00:49 PM

i submitted my return

Intuit Alumni
Jun 7, 2019 3:00:53 PM

To add an additional W-2, please follow the steps below:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account

2. Click Continue Your Return

3. Click Federal Taxes Heading

4. Click Wages and Income if it doesn't default to it

5. Under All Income, the top section will be Wages and Salaries, Click the show more

6. Click the revisit button

7. You will get to a screen that says 'Here's Your W-2 info, under the summary section you should see in blue 'Add Another W-2'

8. Enter in your W-2 information

***If your filed your tax returns already, you will not be able to go back to the original return to add another W-2, you will either need to wait to see if your return was rejected, if it was then you are able to go back in and edit your original return. If the original return was not rejected, but accepted then you will need to amend your return with Form1040-X.

The 1040-X for amending 2015 returns will not be available until mid-February.  You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.
Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them;  they are processed as two separate returns.  

Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return. ***

Jun 7, 2019 3:00:53 PM

That option don't show

Jun 7, 2019 3:00:56 PM

Did you already file your return or did you just "save and close"? If you filed your return, then you will need to file an amended return in order to properly add the third W2 to represent all of you taxable income.

Jun 7, 2019 3:00:58 PM

I'm having this Sam problem. IV work for 3 diffrent companies this year so I have 3 tax returns to file but it only let me enter in the federal and state for one employer. How do I add the other to returns?

Jun 7, 2019 3:00:59 PM

I have the same problem. I Thought it would let me go back to enter a second w-2 but the option isnt there for me. I went too far and accidently filed but with only one of my w-2's. How can I correct this?

Jun 7, 2019 3:01:01 PM

If you already filed the return, then you need to log into your TurboTax account and file an amended tax return to represent the other form of income from your second W-2.

Jun 7, 2019 3:01:03 PM

If you already filed, you must file a 1040-x to amend your return.

Jun 7, 2019 3:01:05 PM

If you have not filed yet the option to add W2's is there. I had 3 to enter. If you filed already you must file a 1040-x to amend this return.

Jun 7, 2019 3:01:06 PM

I keep doing all the information they give me to do and it still doesn't work

Jun 7, 2019 3:01:07 PM

Why isn't the option to start another W2 in that section to begin with? That's terrible design.

Jun 7, 2019 3:01:09 PM

Well alright, so you do now get the option to add another one-- but only after you click well past the steps of filling out the first one, so it doesn't really inspire confidence that you're doing the right thing...

Intuit Alumni
Jun 7, 2019 3:01:12 PM

If your filed your tax returns already, you will not be able to go back to the original return to add another W-2, you will either need to wait to see if your return was rejected, if it was then you are able to go back in and edit your original return. If the original return was not rejected, but accepted then you will need to amend your return with Form1040-X.

The 1040-X for amending 2015 returns will not be available until mid-February.  You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.
Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them;  they are processed as two separate returns.  

Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return. 

Employee Writer
Jun 7, 2019 3:01:14 PM

If you've already filed, you can only add another W-2 by amending your return.

To find the W-2 section of TurboTax:

1. Type W-2 in the search box when you're in your return
  2. Click "Jump to W-2" and enter your information. 

Expert Alumni
Feb 7, 2020 2:23:20 PM

To enter another W-2 follow these steps: 

• With TurboTax open select the wages & income tab. 

• Scroll down to the line Job(W2) 

• Select add/edit 

• On the page Here's your W-2 info select Add a W-2 

• Follow the prompts to add a new W-2 

Returning Member
Feb 11, 2020 11:52:11 AM

How do I add another w2 forum 

Level 15
Feb 11, 2020 11:53:03 AM

@Rashad1254 wrote:

How do I add another w2 forum 

If you have e-filed your tax return and need to change, add or delete information on the tax return then you will need to wait for the tax return to either be accepted or rejected by the IRS.
If the tax return is rejected then you can make your changes and re-file the tax return.
If the tax return is accepted then you will have to amend the tax return to make your changes. An amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return. Wait until you have received the tax refund or the taxes owed have been paid and processed by the IRS before amending the tax return.

On the Tax Home web page when the Form 1040X for amending a 2019 tax return becomes available there will be a link - Amend (change) return

Feb 27, 2020 7:05:35 PM

I want to add another w2 to my 2019 taxes, but TurboTax will not let me amend it. I am going to mail it to the IRS, not file electronically.

Expert Alumni
Feb 27, 2020 7:15:18 PM

Please follow the steps below to add another W-2:

1. Log in to your account.
  2. Go wages and Income.
  3. Click Edit next to Job (W-2).
  4. On the screen  "Here's your W-2 info" click Add a W-2.

Mar 21, 2020 6:38:09 AM

How do I add a w2 I found later

Level 15
Mar 21, 2020 6:45:05 AM

@Cfulkerson1961 wrote:

How do I add a w2 I found later

You will have to amend the 2019 tax return to add another 2019 W-2.

An amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return. Wait until you have received the tax refund or the taxes owed have been paid and processed by the IRS before amending the tax return.

To access your online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show. Click on the Year and Click on Amend (change) return

See this TurvrboTax support FAQ for amending a 2019 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-a-2019-return-in-turbotax/01/1238456#M4600

Jan 31, 2021 9:34:27 PM

How do I add two more w2s on my account and I've already did one and it took the first w2 but it won't let me add the other two w2s

Expert Alumni
Feb 1, 2021 9:12:31 AM

In TurboTax Online, to enter a second W-2, follow these steps. 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Wages & Income.
  • Under Your income, scroll down to W-2.
  • Click on Edit/Add to the right of W-2.
  • At the screen, Your W-2 info so far, click on Add another W-2.

Review the numbers in the 1040 to make sure all of the W-2’s have been entered correctly.  Review the 1040 in TurboTax Online by following these directions. 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Tax Tools.
  • Click on Tools.
  • Under Other helpful links, click on View Tax Summary.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click on State Tax Summary to see the actual tax return that you prepared.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click on Preview My 1040 to see the actual tax return that you prepared.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click Back to return.

You can print or view your full tax returns prior to filing after you have paid for the software.

See this and this.