Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Oct 14, 2020 2:40:43 PM

Tax Return Filed Twice

I recently mailed in a tax return with payment. Payment was processed but not the tax return. So I have e-filed and they are being processed. What happens after that?

0 3 230
3 Replies
Level 15
Oct 14, 2020 3:40:33 PM

How do you know the tax return was not processed if they took your payment?  What are you basing that assumption on?  What do you expect to see that would show you if they processed a return with a payment due besides taking your payment?  By e-filing after mailing the return with a payment you may just be causing a lot of confusion.

Returning Member
Oct 14, 2020 3:45:35 PM

So after being on hold for an hour and speaking with the IRS, they informed me that they can't hold onto a person's payment so it has to be cashed right away. So that is not uncommon for them to process the payment before the taxes. When I log onto the IRS, it tells me that they processed by payment but not my tax return. 

Level 15
Oct 14, 2020 3:51:45 PM

They are backlogged.  Just because they cashed your payment does not mean they will not process your return when they get to it.  Filing again was unnecessary and might confuse things.  Not sure what you thought would "happen" after the IRS got your payment.