Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Jun 29, 2020 11:00:42 AM

state tax return

1. I have my own house in NV, so i think it’s my tax home?

2. I started graduate school in September 2019 in NJ, and I didn’t make any  income there 

3. I have a Form 1065 k-1 from NY, which I didn’t make money in 2019.

Which state tax return should I file? Thanks! 

0 8 598
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jun 29, 2020 11:29:58 AM

Nevada has no state income tax, so you don't have to file there.

If you spent more than 30 days in NJ and had more than $7,500 from all sources for the entire year, you are required to file a NJ part-year resident return. Who Must File

You must file a NY nonresident return if You are a nonresident with New York source income and your New York adjusted gross income Federal amount column (Form IT-203, line 31) exceeds your New York standard deduction.

If you are a nonresident, your New York source income is the sum of your income, gains, losses, and deductions from your distributive share of New York State partnership income or gain.  Since that is a loss, you don't have to file a NY return.

Filing information for New York State nonresidents

8 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 29, 2020 11:29:58 AM

Nevada has no state income tax, so you don't have to file there.

If you spent more than 30 days in NJ and had more than $7,500 from all sources for the entire year, you are required to file a NJ part-year resident return. Who Must File

You must file a NY nonresident return if You are a nonresident with New York source income and your New York adjusted gross income Federal amount column (Form IT-203, line 31) exceeds your New York standard deduction.

If you are a nonresident, your New York source income is the sum of your income, gains, losses, and deductions from your distributive share of New York State partnership income or gain.  Since that is a loss, you don't have to file a NY return.

Filing information for New York State nonresidents

Level 2
Jun 30, 2020 8:27:18 AM

Thanks for your reply, Robert! 

Can I ask: I have 3 times international funds transfer from different relatives into my bank account in USA  in 2019 and the combined total amount is more than $100K. Should I file one Form 3520 or three Form 3520? 

Expert Alumni
Jun 30, 2020 12:31:15 PM

@njliyi

You should only file one form 3520 and report the three transactions.

Level 2
Jun 30, 2020 1:03:37 PM

Thanks!  

If those 3 persons are Not related and each transferred more than $100k to me, in such case, I need to file Three form 3520? 

Expert Alumni
Jun 30, 2020 1:16:53 PM

@njliyi

No, you still file one form 3520 and list the three transfers in Part IV.

Level 2
Jun 30, 2020 1:36:10 PM

oh , I got it.  Thanks! 

Level 2
Jun 30, 2020 2:08:49 PM

can I ask you another question about form 1065 k-1? it is my first time to get that form. it only has numbers in box 5 interest income $4k, box 13 with code W other deduction $4k, box 20 A $4k. The description for box 13 W : Business and administration expenses.   

I didn’t get that $4k interest income in real.  Does that mean I don’t need to file NY tax return?  If i have to report Ny tax return, how should i report box 13 W, itemized deduction Schedule A or some other form? 

Level 2
Jul 1, 2020 6:08:22 PM

Hello, should mail Form 3520 with Federal Income Tax return together or mail Form 3520 separately? 

I paid property tax for house in NV, but since there is no state income tax return in NV, how do I get tax deduct or refund from tax return because of the property tax paid?