Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 4
posted Feb 9, 2022 8:54:15 AM

SSA 1099 Refund & IRMAA Tax

I retired from local government on December 2020 and is receiving my own pension from local government only.  Prior to my retirement, I also received spousal support payments from SSI and continued till December 2021.  On the last week of December 2021, I was told that I didn’t qualify to receive Spousal SSI payments for2021 due to my own retirement benefits is higher than what they had paid me. I was told to refund $11K which I did and it was only last month in 2022 that they processed my refund.

Question 1: Two weeks ago, I received my SSA1099 showing the total amount I received in 2021 and Box 4 (Benefit Repaid) was “None”. Does that mean the refund I repaid in 2022 doesn’t count towards my 2021 Tax reporting?  Should I expect to receive a corrected SSA 1099 with my repayment in Box 4?

Question 2:  Our Joint AGI in 2019 & 2020 required my wife and I to pay the IRMAA for Medicare Part B & D.  My wife payment was deducted from her SSI benefits every month.  Since SSI paid me in 2021 with my premiums & IRMAA deducted, as I also received my standard Part B Premium reimbursement only from my own retirement benefit.  The question is:  the refund I paid back also include the payments of my IRMAAs of $59.40 &$12.30 each month.  Is that amount ($71.70 x 12 month) tax deductible?  If so, is there a form I should expect Medicare or SSI to furnish me?

0 114
0 Replies