Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 3:48:48 PM

Sending taxes to federal and state

Turbo tax made me print and mail in my state tax return.  Will my federal return be sent by e-file?

0 4 373
1 Best answer
Jun 4, 2019 3:48:57 PM

If you chose to e-file your federal return on the File section then yes your federal is e-file even if you mail the state tax return.

When you sign in again to TurboTax the screen you get when you have e-file is the Federal return status.

If you e-filed your tax return you can check the e-file status with this link: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

4 Replies
Level 9
Jun 4, 2019 3:48:51 PM

What does the status show under your Federal return when you log in? You have to manually click Transmit Returns to e-file your return.

Jun 4, 2019 3:48:54 PM

Under the page titled"Here Are Your Filing Choices" it says 2016 Federal Tax Return: E-File...and....2016 State Tax Return: File By Mail.   I cannot get to a page that says Transmit Returns.  Do I need to log out and log back in?

Level 9
Jun 4, 2019 3:48:55 PM

Okay, that means your federal is going to be e-filed and you chose to print and mail your state return. If you want to change the state to e-file, just click "I'd like to change filing methods" on that page. Then change your filing method to "E-file" for the state return and click Save. Then continue through to e-file it and you should see Transmit returns button then.

Jun 4, 2019 3:48:57 PM

If you chose to e-file your federal return on the File section then yes your federal is e-file even if you mail the state tax return.

When you sign in again to TurboTax the screen you get when you have e-file is the Federal return status.

If you e-filed your tax return you can check the e-file status with this link: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/