Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted May 29, 2018 11:08:34 AM

Resident Alien

Im on J1 Research Scholar I am considered a Resident Alien, I would like to be oriented on what to do, I was told that I have to do as any other citizen but I have no income, I work as a volunteer on research. I am fully supported by my parents. I also was told that otherwise fill out form 8843. I'd like to know what to do and what is form 8843.

Thank you

0 1 376
1 Replies
Expert Alumni
Mar 9, 2021 6:55:36 PM

You do not have to file any tax forms if you are J1 Research Scholar, qualify as a resident alien and have no income.

In general, an alien in J-1 status (hereafter referred to as a “J-1 alien”) will be treated as a U.S. resident for federal income tax purposes if he or she meets the Substantial Presence Test. You meet this test if you were physically present in the U.S. on at least:

1. 31 days during the current year, and
  2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:
    • All the days you were present in the current year, and
    • 1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and
    • 1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.

Form 8843 is used by nonresident aliens. You do not have to file this form.