Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 5:07:31 AM

One of my w2s has a different address on it since I moved to NY. However my address on my license is still my MI address. how will this affect my filing

I currently live in New York but cannot change my residency because of insurance purposes.

0 1 490
1 Best answer
Jun 6, 2019 5:07:34 AM

Your mailing address on the W2 does not affect your tax return.  However, if you had taxes withheld from more than one state on your W2's then you would be required to file more than one state tax return.  You would have to file part-year state returns in the states that you earned income.  So, if you earned money in NY and in MI then you would file a state return for each of those states.  

1 Replies
Jun 6, 2019 5:07:34 AM

Your mailing address on the W2 does not affect your tax return.  However, if you had taxes withheld from more than one state on your W2's then you would be required to file more than one state tax return.  You would have to file part-year state returns in the states that you earned income.  So, if you earned money in NY and in MI then you would file a state return for each of those states.