Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 1, 2019 12:29:23 AM

My son lives with me full time. I tried to claim him and found out his dad who has no custody, already claimed him. what can I do?

my son is 10. he lived with me fulltime all year. I have sole custody. I think his dad forged my name.

0 8 594
1 Best answer
Level 1
Jun 1, 2019 12:29:24 AM

File by paper. 

Unfortunately, your e-file will continue be rejected because your son has already been claimed. You can file by paper to claim your son. The IRS will then investigate who is the proper person to have claimed your son. 

It appears you are the proper person to claim your son. Here is the official criteria:

*            be your child (or adoptive or foster child), sibling, niece, nephew or grandchild;
*            be under age 19, or under age 24 and a full-time student for at least five months of the year; or be permanently disabled, regardless of age; 
*            have lived with you for more than half the year; and
*            have provided no more than half his or her own support for the year.

With your court papers and bank statements, you can easily prove you were the proper person to claim your son.

Your son's father will then have any credits/refunds withdrawn by the IRS with penalties.

I am sorry you are having this difficulty. 

8 Replies
Level 1
Jun 1, 2019 12:29:24 AM

File by paper. 

Unfortunately, your e-file will continue be rejected because your son has already been claimed. You can file by paper to claim your son. The IRS will then investigate who is the proper person to have claimed your son. 

It appears you are the proper person to claim your son. Here is the official criteria:

*            be your child (or adoptive or foster child), sibling, niece, nephew or grandchild;
*            be under age 19, or under age 24 and a full-time student for at least five months of the year; or be permanently disabled, regardless of age; 
*            have lived with you for more than half the year; and
*            have provided no more than half his or her own support for the year.

With your court papers and bank statements, you can easily prove you were the proper person to claim your son.

Your son's father will then have any credits/refunds withdrawn by the IRS with penalties.

I am sorry you are having this difficulty. 

Jun 1, 2019 12:29:31 AM

Thank you very much for your answer and can you specify what bank account statements all I will be needing

Level 1
Jun 1, 2019 12:29:34 AM

Anything that shows expenses paid on behalf or for your son

Jun 1, 2019 12:29:36 AM

Okay well, we live in my mom's house where I always just hand her cash for rent. I get child support from his father and I work part time.

Jun 1, 2019 12:29:38 AM

I have No bank account

Level 1
Jun 1, 2019 12:29:39 AM

She can write you a receipt if it comes to that.

Jun 1, 2019 12:29:41 AM

Where do I go to file via mail rather than online efiling? Just a regular tax place?

Level 1
Jun 1, 2019 12:29:44 AM

You can still use TurboTax Online; just indicate you will print and mail, rather than efile