Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Mar 15, 2021 9:17:55 PM

My 401K Plan Admin states I do not have to pay taxes on my distribution - COVID - but Turbo Tax is still showing I am to be taxed via form 8915-E

I am completing form 8915-E yet it still says I have to be taxed.  I have 3 years to repay my loan so why am I being taxed?   My 1099 R show the distribution and 8915-E wants me to be taxed on 1/3 of the amount.  I am not to be taxed on any of it.  Zero tax.

0 2 244
2 Replies
Level 15
Mar 15, 2021 10:01:55 PM

complying with the plan's requirements regarding a loan would make it non-taxable.  as a matter of fact, you should only receive a 1099-R for a 401(k) loan if you violate the plan's or tax code provisions such as borrowing too much or failure to timely repay the loan.   if you quit employment it is a deemed distribution and it becomes taxable at your termination. contact the administrator to get this straightened out. 

Returning Member
Mar 15, 2021 10:50:10 PM

Hi Mike, thank you, but my situation is different.  The situation is regarding a 401K loan from a former employer-plan.  The employer-plan has allowed for former employees to take COVID loans out during 2020 on a 3-year repayment schedule.  No taxes and full repayment allowed.  I did get a 1099-R and instructions to complete form 8915-E to avoid taxes, but I don't know how to fill out the form to prevent taxation via TurboTax.