Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 12, 2021 7:23:52 AM

my 2020return was rejected

My 2020 return was rejected because it said that a return with my SS# had already been filed. I did not file my return previously, so what is going on? 

0 2 255
2 Replies
Level 8
Oct 12, 2021 7:38:45 AM

Your social security number is already in the system so you cannot e-file.   If you are a dependent of another person, see if that person filed listing you as a dependent. 

In that case, you need to select the option that someone else can claim you and e-file.  You could also be a victim of identify theft.   

If you don't know who used your social security number, you can print and mail the return with an attached letter saying that it is your social security number and someone else used it.   It may take many months, but the IRS will address it and sort things out for you.

Print your return, sign in ink, add any documents needed and use certified mail.

Level 15
Oct 12, 2021 7:40:30 AM

It is possible that someone claimed you as a dependent, or that someone inadvertently used your SSN by mistake.   You cannot "beat" this IRS rejection of your e-file.   You will have to print, sign and mail your own tax return and let the IRS sort it out.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.