Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Dec 11, 2019 10:31:53 AM

Is Turbotax now able to handle depreciation on a car used partly for business if the first year's depreciation was already done without Turbotax?

I tried this a few years ago, and after inputting all the information for that year's taxes, customer support finally found out that Turbotax could not handle that case, and refunded our money. I would like to know for sure this time before starting the whole process.

0 3 639
3 Replies
Level 15
Dec 11, 2019 6:34:01 PM

Are you referring to the situation in the screenshot at the bottom of this post? 

Regardless, TurboTax should be able to handle your case provided you use a desktop version, which will contain all of the requisite worksheets.

Dec 11, 2019 6:50:14 PM

No, it wasn't about standard mileage rate versus actual expenses. I did it based on actual expenses last time and will continue the same way this time. The issue a few years ago was just that the depreciation had already been started in a previous tax year, not using Turbotax. So using Turbotax, it was not possible to continue the depreciation for a subsequent year. 

Perhaps the issue will be the software version, then. I was using the web-based version. If the desktop-installed version of Turbotax can handle this situation but the web-based version cannot, then that answers my question. I just want to be sure, because at that time (a few years ago), the customer-support agent did not know the correct answer at first. And I don't want to enter a huge amount of data only to find out that it still doesn't work with Turbotax.

Level 15
Dec 11, 2019 7:46:22 PM

@ellsworth2019 wrote:

Perhaps the issue will be the software version, then. I was using the web-based version. 

I think that might be the case. Take a look at the screenshot of the worksheet (below and it is a partial view) from the 2019 version of TurboTax Home & Business; most all of the worksheet is fillable and should fit your needs.