Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted May 31, 2019 7:33:26 PM

Is obamacare penalty now canceled by ex order ?

My Idaho health plan was canceled in May when I turned 65 and went on Medicare. What form must I have to explain that and doesn't Trump's Ex. order cancel all of this ?

0 2 288
1 Best answer
Level 15
May 31, 2019 7:33:27 PM

So far the executive order is only symbolic.  Nothing has actually changed yet, and no one knows what those changes will be.  And tax changes are rarely retroactive, so it is doubtful anything will be changed for 2016 taxes.  If it is, we won't know for a long time, and if something does change, you would be able to file an amended return.

(The order directs executive branch agencies to ease the burdens of the ACA to the "fullest extent allowed by law."  So it seems to be aimed at changing those rules that were put in place by executive order that extended or went beyond the written law.  So far the written law hasn't actually changed.)

2 Replies
Level 15
May 31, 2019 7:33:27 PM

So far the executive order is only symbolic.  Nothing has actually changed yet, and no one knows what those changes will be.  And tax changes are rarely retroactive, so it is doubtful anything will be changed for 2016 taxes.  If it is, we won't know for a long time, and if something does change, you would be able to file an amended return.

(The order directs executive branch agencies to ease the burdens of the ACA to the "fullest extent allowed by law."  So it seems to be aimed at changing those rules that were put in place by executive order that extended or went beyond the written law.  So far the written law hasn't actually changed.)

Level 15
May 31, 2019 7:33:32 PM

If you moved to Medicare, you were covered by insurance for the entire year.

There would be no penalty.