Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 16, 2021 12:35:04 AM

Is it possible to file as a part year resident through turbotax? If so, how?

0 5 482
5 Replies
Level 15
Mar 16, 2021 12:47:55 AM

@ jb0176 

asked:  "Is it possible to file as a part year resident through turbotax? If so, how?"

Are you asking about a part-year state return or the Federal return???

A part-year resident of what??--a state or the country?  i.e., are you a USA citizen?    Or are you a resident alien for tax purposes, or a non-resident alien?

Mar 16, 2021 12:54:39 AM

@mesquitebean thanks for the reply. Both - I'm not a citizen and I left the country permanently last year. Federal and NY state returns.

Mar 16, 2021 12:55:59 AM

@mesquitebean I pass the substantial presence test so I am a resident alien, but I am now permanently not a resident. 

Level 15
Mar 16, 2021 1:01:52 AM

Sorry, I'm not a tax person and can't help you with that situation.  However, I've asked someone familiar with international filing situations to assist you during the day. 

By the way, I just now see you have another thread on an aspect of this.  You could ask a follow up question there, if you wish, or keep watching this thread to see if you get help here.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/if-i-left-the-usa-during-the-tax-year-but-still-pass-the-substantial-presence-test-is-income-earned/01/2085335#M750385

@pk  Are you able to please assist this user when you are next in the forum. Thanks!

Level 15
Mar 16, 2021 2:27:28 PM

@jb0176 , have gone through your interactions with @mesquitebean  and I am still unsure of the situation-- so I will list what I get  from this ( please correct me  or confirm my understanding )

1. you a citizen of another country, came here on a work visa ( or ? , what type ). when did you enter the USA /  Was this your only stay in the USA in the last three years ( 2018, 2019 and 2020 )

2. You have lived in the USA  long enough to meet the substantial  test  in 2020 ( exact date would be useful)-- see above questions

3.  It seems you have now gone back to your home country ( or another country ) but you had income from the USA during 2020

4. Because of the above  you  want to file as dual status person -- first part of the year 2020 as a resident and the  second  part ( which months  and did you have any US sourced income in those months  ? ).

I will await your answers before answering specifically to your situation.

However, in general  "can you use  TurboTax  to file a dual status return " --- you can kind of .  You can prepare the  Resident portion of the return using TurboTax, Print,  Hand print on page 1  "DUAL  STATUS RETURN ", date , sign.  Now go to the IRS site , download the  1040-NR, fill it out  ( it is a fillable  .pdf), print, sign date.    Now attach the  form 1040 ( Resident return ) and the  Non-Resident Return ( form 1040-NR ) and mail in the  whole  package to the IRS for your area.