Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 5, 2019 11:58:52 AM

Importing from Quickbooks 2018 Pro, Using TurboTax 2017 Business Desktop. Get an error after successfully logging into Quickbooks.

After quickbooks opens, I get a login prompt.  I successfully login to the company file, TurboTax comes up again with an error:

"We are not able to access this company file because we cannot login to the file automatically.

If the file is password-protected, enter the password in the password window.  Otherwise open the company file in QuickBooks and try again"

I did all that.  After I get the error, I can go back over to QuickBooks and use it without an issue.  I can close QB and reopen, no problem.

I have tried pressing "Enter" and using the "Login" button in Quickbooks, same result.  Both applications are running in "Administrator Mode".

Windows 10 Pro

Both files and installations are on the same physical drive and same drive letter.

Both applications are fully up to date.

I turned off Anti-virus

0 8 2107
8 Replies
Jun 5, 2019 11:58:54 AM

Perfect.  That worked perfectly.  Thank you.  And Intuit, better error/help would be appreciated, but at least we have excellent fellow users.

Jun 5, 2019 11:58:55 AM

Carl, can you put that into an answer so you can get credit for it?

Jun 5, 2019 11:58:57 AM

What they don't tell you is that you need to have QuickBooks Closed When You Begin the Import. QuickBooks will Open, You Login as Admin and then the Message Will Appear to Allow Access.

Level 15
Jun 5, 2019 11:58:58 AM

I think in QB you go to File - Preferences - Integrated Applications to allow other programs to access the QB file. Not sure. If that's not it, then ask in the QB support forum.

Level 15
Jun 5, 2019 11:59:00 AM

Done, but all comments that followed were lost is all. 🙂

Mar 1, 2020 8:43:12 PM

It was really Edit-preferences. but the information got me going in the right direction

Returning Member
Feb 25, 2021 7:24:12 PM

Thanks!!!  Just ran into this issue.

Returning Member
Apr 19, 2021 5:25:36 AM

AWESOME......this worked!