Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 6:03:49 AM

I worked as an independent contractor for a portion of the year and was a W2 for the remainder. What TurboTax should I use?

I have two W2s for 2016 and one 1099, as I worked as an independent contractor for a portion of the year.  I want to be able to write off my home expenses since I worked out of my house at that time.  What is the best TurboTax product to use so that I can get the best refund?

0 5 459
1 Best answer
Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 6:03:51 AM

You can use any version of the CD/download product. You would get the most guidance with Home and Business.

With the online product you need Self Employed to be able to enter expenses from your independent contractor business. You can use Deluxe if you have no expenses.

5 Replies
Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 6:03:51 AM

You can use any version of the CD/download product. You would get the most guidance with Home and Business.

With the online product you need Self Employed to be able to enter expenses from your independent contractor business. You can use Deluxe if you have no expenses.

Jun 6, 2019 6:03:53 AM

Thank you for the quick response!  Are there any advantages of the CD/download product (Home & Business in particular) over the online product (Self Employed)?

Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 6:03:54 AM

I have a personal preference for the CD/download product because I can switch back and forth from the interview to the forms view. Both products provide good guidance.

Jun 6, 2019 6:03:56 AM

The Self Employed online product does NOT allow you to enter your W2 income.  It only allows you to enter your contractor income.

Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 6:03:57 AM

It does allow you to enter your W-2 income. You enter it under the "Personal" heading.