Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 5, 2019 11:30:46 PM

I was told by SSA that my disability income would not be taxed. Is this true?

It appeared that this income was taxed so I am confused.

0 1 228
1 Best answer
Alumni
Jun 5, 2019 11:30:47 PM

I think you misunderstood what SS said. When you receive Social Security Disability or regular Social Security benefits, some of it may be taxable. That is not new, it has been that way for decades. When 1/2 of your SS plus all of your other income (including tax exempt interest) is more than $25,000 (single) or $32,000 (married filing jointly), then up to 85% of your SS benefit becomes taxable. Turbotax calculates the taxable portion, if any automatically. All  you have to do is to enter the net benefit shown in Box 5 of your SSA-1099 and Turbotax does the rest.

1 Replies
Alumni
Jun 5, 2019 11:30:47 PM

I think you misunderstood what SS said. When you receive Social Security Disability or regular Social Security benefits, some of it may be taxable. That is not new, it has been that way for decades. When 1/2 of your SS plus all of your other income (including tax exempt interest) is more than $25,000 (single) or $32,000 (married filing jointly), then up to 85% of your SS benefit becomes taxable. Turbotax calculates the taxable portion, if any automatically. All  you have to do is to enter the net benefit shown in Box 5 of your SSA-1099 and Turbotax does the rest.