Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 22, 2024 12:37:25 PM

I started my taxes for Iowa about 3 weeks ago and getting ready to file and now I owe more. what changed that my tax liability increased since last month?

0 5 688
5 Replies
Expert Alumni
Mar 22, 2024 1:12:33 PM

It could be that some form were not ready in TurboTax when you started your return 3 months ago. 

The refund or amount due will continue to change until you enter all your forms and information and complete the final review. TurboTax will recalculate your refund/ amount due every time you add more information to your tax return.    

Mar 22, 2024 3:14:33 PM

I actually found a glitch in the system and it seems to be a software error.  On my Iowa Return, it is doubling my Federal Return as income on my net Iowa Modifications.  I should only have $2024 on that line item and it is entering on the tax form as $4048.  Who can take care of this error?

Expert Alumni
Mar 24, 2024 10:42:09 AM

Only you can fix errors on your return.  We do not have access to your return and cannot see your return.  If you are able to explain the error in more details, we may be able to assist you.

However, most state errors are corrected on the Federal return because Federal information is what populates most of the state return.  The first step is to return to the section in the Federal return that is generating that information to ensure that it is accurate and make corrections if necessary.

@tsiegert1313 

Mar 25, 2024 5:17:00 AM

I filed with the correct information and the Iowa return was rejected.  TT states I must wait a week for a "product update" to file again.  Seems like it IS a system error.

Expert Alumni
Mar 26, 2024 2:51:40 PM

This is a known issue that should be resolved with the March 29th update. Once the update happens, please follow the steps below depending on the version of TurboTax you are using:

• If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.
    • You can also try using a different browser
  • If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.
    • Make sure you have ran all the updates

@tsiegert1313