Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 3:13:43 PM

I registered as an IBO to Amway business spent up to 500$ for training purposes .I have not made any income so far, Can I show the expenses as tax deductible?

I spent 180  dollars as start up cost along with.400 dollars for business trips,training expenses

0 5 5851
5 Replies
Jun 7, 2019 3:13:43 PM

I have not made any profit from it so far

Returning Member
Jun 7, 2019 3:13:46 PM

Business expenses are tax deductible, however the expense must be for "business," and you are not being reimbursed for travel by your employer. For example, if you spent $1,000 to go to a conference that lasts 2-days. ALL of your expenses are related to the conference, i.e, food, hotel, air, etc. went towards the conference, all is deductible. If however, you spent an extra night, then only 2/3 of the expenses are deductible. It is also a red flag for a possible audit. 

Hope this provides some help.

Jun 7, 2019 3:13:48 PM

I have not made profit so far in the business

Returning Member
Jun 7, 2019 3:13:50 PM

Although you may not be making a profit, the issue is strictly about costs and time relating to your training or business related issues. Many, many years ago, I joined a program similar to Amway. I never expected to make money on my "investment," what I was doing was purchasing a product that I would have paid significantly more for (retail), I joined the business only to get the products at 50% off. The person who signed me up told me that I would be able to write off any trip I went on as long as I mentioned the product to someone. Sounded great, my  investment (about $200), purchase the products at 50% off "sticker price," and free vacations - all would be for business, I would mention the product to somebody.
What a deal...I will make the investment price back in no time...and I get a box of cool products for my investment...AND I could write off the cost of the samples.
Sounded great...how can I go wrong?  
I learned only after reading IRS documents, that
-I could not write off the price of the start-up box, as in converted to my use (in fact it is arguable that I made a profit on the box)
- My business trips required that I could document how I spent the time on my new business. It is much more than dropping a business card into a fish bowl. I could write it off is I spent 8-hours a day working.
- I was told that a room that I had my computer in was deductible as an office...however, I also had a television, surround sound, etc. and our family used that room as our "family room," another tax deduction taken away.

IN years thereafter, I did have a room that was used solely for my workplace. I was living in Washington State, my home office was in VA. Most of the time, I was traveling for work, so my office was seldom really used, however, it was for my office only. Whenever I was at home and worked, I had a room that was my office, and totally deductible. So was the percentage of electricity used, etc. (As I traveled so much the room would have required a log, indicating my actual use of this room that was only used for my work,)  After reading all of the requirements, I likely would have deducted everything...I chose not to do so. The deduction was not that great, and the documentation was a nightmare to keep up with.

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 3:13:52 PM