Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 4:18:07 PM

I lost 70 bee hives due to a storm and flooding. Each hive is a minimum of a $300 loss. How do I take this loss

0 7 1296
1 Best answer
Not applicable
Jun 4, 2019 4:18:17 PM

if you are running a business, the loss becomes a business casualty loss 

if personal or hobby, only if it occurred in and during a declared federal disaster.  and then it becomes an itemized deduction   

7 Replies
Level 15
Jun 4, 2019 4:18:11 PM

Are you in a federally declared disaster zone?

Jun 4, 2019 4:18:12 PM

Hi:  I am just north of Houston that was a disaster zone.  The area I have my hives on was not designated a federally disaster zone.  We never had this  much rain before.  I am in agriculture (farming) as a pecan orchard and apiary.  

Jun 4, 2019 4:18:13 PM

No

Jun 4, 2019 4:18:15 PM

I can not figure out how to take a business casualty  or loss in TURBO Tax

Not applicable
Jun 4, 2019 4:18:17 PM

if you are running a business, the loss becomes a business casualty loss 

if personal or hobby, only if it occurred in and during a declared federal disaster.  and then it becomes an itemized deduction   

Jun 4, 2019 4:18:18 PM

Thank you.  I am in Agriculture (pecan orchard and apiary)  I consider this a farming business.  However I am very early in both and have not made any  profit as of yet as the trees take about 8  years to produce and I have been  constantly using my honey  products to grow more hives.  This has been a terrible loss for me as over the last 5 years I have almost $50000 invested with no  income and a lot of loss.

Jun 4, 2019 4:18:19 PM

Where do I  find business causality  or loss in Turbo Tax.