Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Apr 14, 2024 9:14:40 PM

I just finished filing my taxes and immediately received a scam text from an account pretending to be TurboTax, is this normal?

As soon as I submitted my taxes for filing, I received a text message from a number 885483 stating, "CRITICAL NOTICE: Your TurboTax account may be at risk. Please log into your account for details. https://turbotax.com/customer-alert/security-risk";. This is very concerning to me as far as data privacy goes, is this something I should report to local law enforcement or the BBB? Obviously not clicking the link, but is my information secure?

0 2 4292
2 Replies
Level 3
Apr 15, 2024 9:58:17 PM

You should check the page that the link goes to, without the quote at the end. It is a legit TurboTax URL.

Did you log into your account?

Expert Alumni
Apr 16, 2024 6:44:26 AM

Although the wording is somewhat alarming, it appears that this message did actually come from TurboTax.  It is possibly  generated because you started a new account this year, or maybe have multiple accounts with TurboTax. You can check your status by logging in to your account the way you normally do, not by following a link. 

If you would like to check this further, you can go to the Intuit Security Center and report this text.