• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 3:56:32 PM

I have a 1099-misc, why do I have to fill out a schedule c

0 3 3468
1 Best answer
Jun 7, 2019 3:56:34 PM

A 1099 MISC form is how income is reported when you are not an "employee". 

Schedule C is the form used to report this income.  As you do not have an employer in this scenario, you must pay income tax on your profits.  You may deduct any expense you incurred while performing this activity.  This net profit is also subject to self-employment tax.  This tax is essentially the social security tax for the self employed.  When you are an employee, your employer pays half.  When there is no employer, the self employed person must pay all of this tax.

3 Replies
Jun 7, 2019 3:56:34 PM

A 1099 MISC form is how income is reported when you are not an "employee". 

Schedule C is the form used to report this income.  As you do not have an employer in this scenario, you must pay income tax on your profits.  You may deduct any expense you incurred while performing this activity.  This net profit is also subject to self-employment tax.  This tax is essentially the social security tax for the self employed.  When you are an employee, your employer pays half.  When there is no employer, the self employed person must pay all of this tax.

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 3:56:36 PM

An amount inbox 7 of the 1099-misc has to be reported as self employment income and that is done on Sch C

Feb 15, 2020 7:31:16 PM

What if the income is listed in box 3?  I got free stock for opening an account with a securities company and have to report the stock value as income.  Filing a schedule C seems incorrect as that triggers the need to file a state excise tax/business license when doing my state taxes but I have not opened a business.  I'm just trading stocks on a personal level.