Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted May 30, 2023 8:22:03 AM

I got married in March, 2023. Can me and my husband do joint tax return file for 2022?

0 2 175
2 Replies
Level 15
May 30, 2023 8:23:19 AM

NO. To file jointly for 2022 you needed to be married on 12/31/2022

Level 15
May 30, 2023 10:16:55 AM

Your marital status for filing a tax return is determined as of December 31 of the tax year.   Since you were not married in 2022, you cannot file a joint return for tax year 2022.   But next year you can file a joint tax return for 2023.

How to start a new joint return

When you enter your own information in My Info, you have to answer the question "Were you married?"  If you click the button for Married, then a drop down will appear that asks, "Do you want to file this return together with your spouse?"  Then you choose yes to file a joint return.  You would then enter your spouse's information into Personal Info.  Whenever you are entering income information there should then be a spot for you and for your spouse's income information.

When you prepare a joint return you include all the information for both spouses on the SAME tax return.  Include all of your personal information, all of your income from every source, all dependents (if any), all credits and deductions for both of you.  You get ONE refund with both names on it.