Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 10:02:23 PM

How to file on the interest income from a deceased Aunt's estate when no K-1 is provided?

Received distribution from deceased Aunt's estate which included interest income that the CPA indicated I needed to pay taxes on. However, the CPA has not provided a K-1 (or any form). How do I correctly include this income in my 2018 tax filing? 

0 1 190
1 Best answer
Intuit Alumni
Jun 4, 2019 10:02:25 PM

If you know the amount of interest that was taxable income, then you should include it in your return as if you received a Form 1099-INT reporting the interest in box 1.

For the question of where is the interest from, you can enter a description such as 'estate of ____' and then include the amount in the box 1 entry. 

Use the following steps to go directly to that section of your return:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
    • This opens a box where you can type in “1099-INT” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
    • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-INT
    • Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-INT” link

1 Replies
Intuit Alumni
Jun 4, 2019 10:02:25 PM

If you know the amount of interest that was taxable income, then you should include it in your return as if you received a Form 1099-INT reporting the interest in box 1.

For the question of where is the interest from, you can enter a description such as 'estate of ____' and then include the amount in the box 1 entry. 

Use the following steps to go directly to that section of your return:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
    • This opens a box where you can type in “1099-INT” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
    • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-INT
    • Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-INT” link