Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 9, 2020 10:47:43 AM

How do I know if we ever had to pay the alternative minimum tax (AMT)? If I don't know for sure, is it safe to just say "No, we didn't"?

0 5 375
5 Replies
Expert Alumni
Mar 9, 2020 11:03:52 AM

No, if you do not know for sure, please check your past tax forms.  Look for a Form 6251 AMT.  If you filed a Form 6251 in the past, you have paid AMT.  

Level 1
Jul 5, 2020 7:09:32 PM

If I have been using TurboTax for tax returns shouldn't it know whether I have paid AMT in prior year?  I have the same doubt on whether I have any carry overs

thanks in advance,

Expert Alumni
Jul 6, 2020 6:55:26 AM

Yes, if you use the same TurboTax account year to year, that information will automatically carry over.

Level 1
Jul 8, 2020 8:26:52 PM

but I was not using the Web version of TurboTax.  I have been using the desktop version year over year and imports prior year’s file.  So if I don’t see those field filled I can safely assume I didn’t have the prior year?

Similarly for Capital Loss Carryover from 2018, TurboTax is asking me to fill in but if I did have any carryover from 2018 it would have been auto filled right?

Expert Alumni
Jul 10, 2020 6:25:50 AM

For 2018, the 28% AMT rate starts when AMT income exceeds $191,500 for married joint-filing couples and $95,750 for others. You are allowed an AMT exemption, which is deducted in calculating AMT income. The TCJA significantly increases the exemption amounts for 2018-2025.

AMT would have been reported on Form 6251 in your tax return if it applied.

Carryover losses would be reported on Schedule D and the Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet.

If you used TurboTax in the past, your information should carryover into the current year. However, if you switched from a desktop version to online or vice versa, this will not happen automatically.