Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Feb 20, 2020 11:41:19 AM

How do I file a 1099 MISC for workers i.e. Independent Contractors that do not have social security numbers?

We have paid these workers a lot this year, so I am anxious about what to file.

1 3 426
3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Feb 20, 2020 11:58:07 AM

If you do not have the Social Security Number by the filing deadline, leave the identification number box empty, but still submit the report to the IRS.

The IRS will send a notice stating that the number is missing, and this must be sent along with a backup withholding notice and W-9 form to the subcontractor. It notifies the subcontractor that they will be subject to withholding until the identification number is submitted.

While the individual or business can be subject to a penalty for refusing to provide an SSN or EIN, you also can be subject to a penalty for not submitting fully completed forms by the deadline.

Level 1
Mar 14, 2020 6:34:30 PM

@AlanT222 Hello AlanT222, and thank you for getting back to me. One more question, do I need to snail-mail file these 1099 MISC's seems how I cannot e-file them without a social security number for the recipient?

Expert Alumni
Mar 14, 2020 7:27:00 PM

If the forms (1099-MISC AND 1096) cannot be e-filed, mail them.

Use Express mail or some other expedited manner of sending them. They were due January 31st. 

A copy of the 1099-MISC goes to the contractor, a copy is retained by you with your business files and a copy is submitted with a 1096 to the IRS. 

Form 1096