Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Apr 3, 2018 3:59:08 PM

How can I see previous year's itemized deductions?

Hey all, I am using online self-employed, and tech support has not been able to help me. 

I simply want to see last year's itemizations.  All I can see are the $ totals for each category, but not the specific itemizations (e.g., under "supplies" last year I may have put "pencils", "paper", "staples", each for $25, but all I can see when doing this year's is that my total last year was $75, I can't see the individual items nor the individual costs, which isn't very helpful).

This seems like it should be super basic, but I was literally on the phone for an hour with someone who couldn't figure it out.

Please help!

0 3 726
3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 3, 2018 5:03:12 PM

Do you mean the individual items you listed as expenses on a schedule C? If you entered each of those items separately with a description and an amount, you should see the detail on one of your schedule C supporting worksheets. Sign into your account (online versions) and save the 2016 pdf. Then scroll the document for the Schedule C worksheet.

Apr 3, 2018 5:12:42 PM

Yes, and I did download last year's tax return pdf, but it doesn't show the individual entries under a category, it just shows the category name and total $ for that category.  So if I listed 12 different things under the "Supplies" category last year (e.g. paper, a desk, pens, computer, etc), there doesn't seem to be anywhere to see those individual itemizations anymore.  I really need to see them.

Expert Alumni
Apr 5, 2018 5:45:45 PM

Shoot. I don't think you can get the detail if you didn't save a copy with the worksheets. Going forward, always save your TurboTax file with all the worksheets. The default is just the required forms/schedules. But why do you need the specific detail? Are you concerned about how much was claimed? Is the deduction being questioned?