Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jan 29, 2020 12:06:34 AM

Grand Rapids, Michigan -

If I work in GR but my husband doesnt, and we do NOT live in the city, do I have to pay taxes on my husbands income?

0 6 1413
6 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jan 31, 2020 8:14:03 AM

No. You only pay tax on the money you earned while working in the city. 

*The Grand Rapids 1040NR Instructions, for Nonresidents of the city; see page 4 of 6:

NONRESIDENT INCOME SUBJECT TO TAX: 1. Compensation for work done or services performed in Grand Rapids, which includes, but is not limited to, the following: salaries, wages, bonuses, commissions, fees, tips, incentive payments, severance pay, vacation pay and sick pay.
*The link takes you to the Grand Rapids Income Tax Department. Scroll down to Individual Filers>2019 Non-Resdient Instructions and download the PDF for full instructions

Feb 11, 2020 6:31:09 AM

Do you have an online tool to help us figure out the non-resident forms? They changed them this year and I'm having great difficulty maneuvering my way through it. 

Expert Alumni
Feb 11, 2020 7:14:17 AM

Click on the following link for Grand Rapids Tax Department for their phone number and to download the Non-Resident Tax Return. Page 9 of 9 for the 2109 Non-Resident Tax Return has a worksheet to help with the allocation. TurboTax will split it for you on the Days Worked in Grand Rapids screen as shown.

Feb 11, 2020 7:18:43 AM

I already filed my Federal and State taxes though. I can't have you do anything with City now, can I? 

Expert Alumni
Feb 11, 2020 11:51:29 AM

Actually, you can upload your city return to the Grand Rapids site.

Please see E-FILING CITY TAXES on the Grand Rapids Income Tax Department page for more information.

Aug 30, 2021 4:17:06 AM

If you live in grand rapids and work in grand rapids, do you pay double taxes?