Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 3
posted Apr 12, 2024 12:31:15 PM

Form 1041 Schedule K-1 -- Inherited IRA and House

Hello!  My father passed away in late 2022 and he had all of his assets (a House and Simple IRA Account) in a revocable trust.  My brother and I are equal beneficiaries.  We sold the house in August of 2023 and in 2023 we divided the IRA and liquidated all the assets.

I do my taxes via TurboTax (of course!) but we hired a CPA to take care of the  "U.S. Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts" in the name of my father's trust.  The CPA sent my brother and I the Schedule K-1 and Schedule K-1-T, and advised me to include this with my personal return.  I asked if I should be including the sale of my father's house in my personal return (I did so as a "second/investment home" and adjusted the value accordingly) -- and the CPA said I should NOT include it, because the sale is part of the Estate tax return.

Questions:  How do I include/upload the K-1 and K-1-T documents into my personal TurboTax return?  Can anyone weigh in on what I should do about the inherited house?  Should I not have followed the "inherited house" prompts (because it was part of a trust and not a "regular" inheritance?  Any insights are appreciated.  Thanks!

0 1 4087
1 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 15, 2024 12:28:27 PM

You need to enter the trust schedule K-1 in the Wages and Income section of TurboTax, then Business Investment and Estate/Trust Income, then Schedule K-1. As mentioned by the CPA, it appears the gain or loss on sale of the property is entered on the schedule K-1. If so, you should not enter it separately.