Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 5
posted Feb 6, 2021 9:05:50 AM

Father died, lived in NY but I live in CA and am doing his 2020 taxes. Which state?

Hi - my father lived in NY his whole life. I live in CA and am his only child and heir. I flew to NY every year that he was alive, to do his taxes for him on his computer, as he got older. He died last year. I just downloaded TT on my computer (in CA) and want to know if I need to file taxes for him in CA, in NY, or both?

I did change his (postal) mailing address to mine last year, after he went into a care home and could no longer manage his finances. So all of his tax documents have my CA address on them.

I know I have to file, but in which state or states? Thank you in advance!!

0 2 297
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Feb 6, 2021 9:25:04 AM

File a federal and a NY tax return for your father's final returns. Your physical location and his mailing address for tax forms didn't change his state of residence - he lived in NY his whole life.

If any of his tax documents listed CA for tax purposes (reporting income or withholding state/local tax), you may have to file a CA return to get a refund  of tax paid. In that event, he would be listed as a non-resident of CA and none of his income would be attributable to CA.

.... And, our condolences for your loss.

2 Replies
Expert Alumni
Feb 6, 2021 9:25:04 AM

File a federal and a NY tax return for your father's final returns. Your physical location and his mailing address for tax forms didn't change his state of residence - he lived in NY his whole life.

If any of his tax documents listed CA for tax purposes (reporting income or withholding state/local tax), you may have to file a CA return to get a refund  of tax paid. In that event, he would be listed as a non-resident of CA and none of his income would be attributable to CA.

.... And, our condolences for your loss.

Level 5
Feb 6, 2021 9:26:42 AM

@ToddL99 

Thank you very much for your answer and the information!