Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 3
posted Feb 21, 2021 1:28:00 PM

E-file rejected due to ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt on Form 1116

My federal e-file that I did yesterday (2/20/21) was rejected this morning (2/21/21) with the following message: "We encountered an issue processing your e-filed return. Please review the "ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt" on Form "1116" in the section "ForeignTaxCreditSource"."

All of my foreign taxes are on mutual funds held in a Vanguard brokerage account, so my numbers/data are coming from the Vanguard 1099-DIV. 

I have run through the Foreign Tax Credit flow again and can't find anything to change/correct; I am ending up with the exact same results as before. In particular the date paid section looks correct, with the "paid" box checked (rather than accrued) and a date of 12/31/2020.

The only thing I was slightly uncertain about is that yesterday when it did the final review it asked me for "Qual Div and LT Cap Gains" for the foreign tax credit worksheet (and said this had to be greater than $0). I entered the "QDI eligible foreign income" value from the "2020 Foreign Tax Paid" section of my 1099-DIV. I am not certain this correct but do not see what other value would be appropriate to enter here. However, I also don't see how this would be related to the error message above.

I am wondering if this is a bug in TurboTax, as I had a similar experience last year where it was rejected due to a bug on their end, and had to wait until they had fixed the issue in order for it to get accepted.

Has anyone else encountered this? Or can advise on how to resolve it?

11 504 13393
0 Best answer
24 Replies
Level 2
Feb 21, 2021 2:03:25 PM

I have encountered the same issue -- my return was rejected with the same message.  I also have a Vanguard account and entered the amounts from the 1099-DIV.  I wasn't asked in the final review for "Qual Div and LT Cap Gains" -- the entry in Form 1116, Part I, line 1h.  But this is simply carried over from the entry in Box 1b from the 1099-DIV and showed up in my Form 1116.  After the rejection, TurboTax did tell me to go back to the section on "Deductions and Credits" and re-answer the questions for Foreign Taxes which I did.  I did the review again and TurboTax said all was fine, so I e-filed again.  And again it was rejected.  So, I deleted my entries for the International Stock fund and re-entered them.  Did the review again -- all was fine and e-filed again.  And once again it was rejected.  

It appears as if this is a bug in TurboTax and I guess I'll have to wait until they fix it.

Level 3
Feb 21, 2021 4:26:12 PM

@Fossil Thanks for sharing your experience; I appreciate the confirmation that it is not unique to me and thus definitely appears to be an issue on their end.

Level 3
Feb 21, 2021 10:09:32 PM

Same issue. 100% foreign salary. It is the form. ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt refers to the Date. I found this on IRS, but have not figured out how to use this to work around the issue:

Problem on 2020 schema, last updated Jan 21, 2021: 

Form 1116, Part II, Columns lA, lB, lC choice for ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt or ForeignTaxSpecialTypeCd, has changed to min=1 / max=1 making them a required choice. Only certain enumerations can be entered. 

Temp Solution:

If selecting the choice of ‘ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt’, then enter a random date and attach a binary attachment explaining the correct literal that should have been entered. If selecting the choice of ‘ForeignTaxSpecialTypeCd’, then enter "1099 TAX" or "909 TAX" and attach a binary attachment explaining the correct literal that should have been entered.  

Returning Member
Feb 22, 2021 5:45:00 AM

I have the same problem and haven't figured a way around it.

Level 1
Feb 22, 2021 9:27:24 AM

I had the same problem.  I made some changes based on these comments and I called TurboTax.  They had no idea why there was a problem.  I resubmitted and it was rejected in 3 minutes.

Looking for a solution.

Level 1
Feb 22, 2021 11:19:14 PM

I have the same issue, shouldn't turbo tax fix their issue.  I am forced to put to numbers in the box to clear the error with turbotax then when turbo tax says I am good to go the return gets rejected.  I am also 100% salary.

Level 3
Feb 23, 2021 12:30:22 AM

Based on a somewhat limited guess on how their forms work. The IRS may have a problem, but the solution can only be done by turbotax. We are limited by the turbotax form to entering a proper date for one or all three entries (1116 Comp Wks, Part II, Date column).   I've tried submitting with a variety of dates (for Country A and for Countries A,B,C).   No luck.  

The solution listed suggests a value of '1' is required, we cannot enter that.   TurboTax development team needs to step in fix this!

Level 2
Feb 23, 2021 10:34:31 AM

For what it's worth, I called TurboTax this morning and the representative had me go through the review once again; there were no errors; and I e-filed.  It was rejected once again within 5 minutes.  She said I could file by mail.  I'm not sure how filing by mail will help if there is some kind of problem.  It is not clear if this is an IRS issue or a TurboTax problem, but I hope that this gets addressed soon.

Level 2
Feb 23, 2021 3:14:02 PM

Same problem here.  I've just spent an hour going thru this and even deleting it to redo.  No errors on the Turbo Tax error check, but still rejected by the IRS for that same reason.  Neve had a problem in previous years with this, and considering so many other are having the same problem, there has to be a bug somewhere.

I'd rather not have to 'just file by mail' as Turbo Tax has stated as an alternative since my return is very large.  I very much hope there is a fix for this soon.

Level 3
Feb 24, 2021 12:55:55 AM

Last night I was able find somebody in support that understood the "big" issue here. It is not about finding my error or even how my taxes can get filed on paper. The real issue is that everyone e-filing a 1116 form will hit this error.... which could be 1000s or more.  Spending an hour on the phone and telling then to not e-file will be a huge drain on their resources and make customers "dissatisfied".  Many of us have larger returns and live in foreign countries and really appreciate e-filing.

There is a case open to fix their problem with the form. They added my email to the notification list for this bug fix. If more people complain and get added to the list then the priority may increase. 

My current suspicion: IRS changed the "schema" (formal electronic format) on form 1116 (specifically the Date in section II) and introduced an issue. It does not appear that the IRS will change this for 2020 because they published a work-around for companies that submit electronic forms. Turbotax has not implemented this work-around. 

Level 3
Feb 24, 2021 7:01:06 AM

@olsonep Thank you for the update and for spending the time on the phone with support. I am glad to hear that they are finally acknowledging it as a bug on their end.

Do you know if there is an easy way for others of us with the issue to get on the notification list for it (like emailing somewhere with a certain subject line)? (Ideally we wouldn't each have to spend on hour on the phone just to indicate to them that there is a lot of interest and to get notified when it's fixed...)

Level 2
Feb 24, 2021 6:21:35 PM

I received an E-file rejection "/Return/ReturnData/IRS1116/ForeignTaxCreditSource/USTaxWithheldOnDividendAmt - Data in the return is missing or invalid. Please double check your entries."

Have tried different things but every time it gets rejected.

Will call Turbo Tax to get my email on the list for notification when they correct the form.

I really don't want to wait to file my return so I may just go ahead and file without the Foreign Tax Credit and then file an amended return later after the update.

Level 2
Feb 24, 2021 11:45:29 PM

Same issue for me - form matches up completely with last year, passes all TurboTax checks, but was rejected with that error. Rechecked and resubmitted, rejected again within minutes.

Here's hoping TurboTax fixes it soon!

Level 3
Feb 25, 2021 12:23:07 AM

I believe the internal case number is 11556 - it can be found searching for ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt  on their internal system.  (or 11556 is some work-related data, It was late and there are a dozen posit notes with numbers)

Level 2
Feb 25, 2021 2:10:31 AM

So, my foreign income and taxes on my TD Ameritrade 1099 included two investment funds of the "RIC" variety, but when loaded by TurboTax automatically, only the total of the two was loaded as a single RIC entry on Column A of Form 1116 Comp Wks. TurboTax reviewed that as fine, but it was rejected by the IRS. Two actions were needed to correct this, using the View>>Forms menu in TurboTax:

(1) I went to Form 1116 Comp Wks directly and in Part 1 I entered the two funds separately in Cols A and B (Special Note: the fund with the largest income must be listed first, in Col A).

(2) In Part 2 I entered the Country A line as the tax paid for the Col A fund, and Country B line as the Col B fund.

My tax liability after these changes were made was the same as before. So far the IRS has not rejected my return yet, but we'll see. I provide this as an early hint of a possible fix for those still frustrated by this....Jack

Level 2
Feb 25, 2021 3:38:12 AM

And I'm happy to report that the two actions I described above worked! My federal efile was accepted by the IRS. 

TurboTax needs to correct how they download these 1099s. Clearly their method of only entering the total of the RICs does not meet IRS standards to efile. 

Level 3
Feb 25, 2021 5:02:18 AM

Some of us are getting this error entering a single salary from a foreign employer with nothing being imported into Turbotax. I do have one specific question that could be related. Since it is complaining about the date, could you tell us if your date changed when you split into two columns? And what magic date is making the IRS happy? (I'm trying everything).  Thanks

Level 2
Feb 25, 2021 6:22:01 AM

I, too, have had two rejections even though everything checks out in TurboTax review and my own manual review:

"Return ReturnData IRS1116 ForeignTaxCreditSource USTaxWithheldOnDividendAmt - Data in the return is missing or invalid. Please double check your entries."

Interesting that there are different rejections for Form 1116.

Level 2
Feb 25, 2021 2:14:27 PM

Thanks for this information.

I decided to just switch my foreign tax to a deduction rather than a credit and my return went through.  I will later amend my return back to a credit.

Level 2
Feb 26, 2021 4:54:12 AM

As for dates: The date listed on the TDA 1099 was 02/04/2021, but I didn't use this date for anything in TurboTax. Instead, I listed the dates for the foreign tax payments in TurboTax as 12/31/2020.

Over the previous five years I actually used two different CPAs to file my taxes, and they just listed the total of all RICS in Column A, just as TurboTax had done. So it's hard to say that TurboTax did anything wrong, per se. But the IRS seems to have higher standards for accepting efile submissions from TurboTax, and listing both transactions as I described above solved that problem.

Level 2
Feb 26, 2021 9:20:37 AM

TurboTax released program updates and I was hoping that they corrected the problem.  I e-filed my return which was once again rejected by the IRS with the same error message.  Still waiting for TurboTax to fix this issue.

Level 1
Feb 26, 2021 10:13:14 AM

All,

Just spoke with a tax rep on turbo chat they are working on a solution and they have this chat as a reference, keep posting possible solutions, and if you have not contacted Turbo TAX do so.

Level 3
Feb 26, 2021 2:24:06 PM

That is great news. The latest updates did not help. I tried some more date combinations with no luck. My taxes simple (foreign salary in a country with a higher tax rate). I start owing tax if it is not filed as a credit. 

Returning Member
Feb 27, 2021 10:13:07 AM

I tried to file my federal today and also got a rejection because Of form 1116. How do we escalate this?