Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 7:54:49 AM

Does federal w2 info carryover to state

After entering w2 info for federal. Does all info carryover for state? If yes, then how do i correct a wrong amount on my spouses state wages. Trying to figure out if this was a turbo tax error or an error on my part. This happened in turbo tax for 2014 tax year. Received an audit letter and need to know how to proceed. Thanks in advance.

0 4 780
1 Best answer
Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 7:54:51 AM

Information flows from your federal return to the state return when you prepare your federal an state returns using TurboTax.  So if you make a data entry error on the federal return it will flow to the state return.

4 Replies
Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 7:54:51 AM

Information flows from your federal return to the state return when you prepare your federal an state returns using TurboTax.  So if you make a data entry error on the federal return it will flow to the state return.

Jun 6, 2019 7:54:52 AM

If federal w2 info is correct. Should this be something TurboTax should have seen. We are talking about $16k difference between state and federal.

Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 7:54:54 AM
Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 7:54:55 AM

Did you go back and enter it on the federal return?  After you update the federal you had to click on state again and go though state for it to update.  The state W2 info comes from your W2 box 16.  Double check that entry.  It is possible for the state wages in box 16 to be different than the federal wages in box 1.