Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Jan 18, 2020 8:26:27 PM

Community Property for Married filing separately

I am filing Married Separately. I got a message stating that I have to get a deluxe package because my address is a community property. I do not own the property, I live with a relative. He lives in a different city with a different relative. Why do I still have to get the deluxe package to file my return?

0 2 341
2 Replies
Level 15
Jan 18, 2020 8:31:18 PM

It doesn't mean the property is community property.  It means you live in a community property State.  There are special calculations you have to do on both your returns.  It is tricky.  I don't know how it works.

Heres one help article

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/married/help/married-filing-separately-in-community-property-states/01/26030 

Returning Member
Jan 18, 2020 9:31:24 PM

Thank you Volvo Girl. I really appreciate your comment.

To Tax Experts only:

Please advise which form I should use to file? I read Publication 555 and 971 still not sure which route I should go. I am assuming the form that I need is in your deluxe package, but what if I am not able to e-file because of it. I need to know my options before taking the next steps. I have filed with the free edition for 2 years and never came across this concern. 

Thank you.