Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Feb 21, 2021 1:22:37 PM

"Check This Entry" is stuck in loop when asking for Date Acquired field in 1099-B.

When asked to review errors on federal return, I'm prompted with a "Check This Entry" page that asks me to fill in the Date Acquired field for the sale of an asset on the 1099-B form (the entry is the last of many on the 1099). After entering and selecting "Continue", the same page populates for the same asset transaction again asking to fill in the Date Acquired field. Viewing the specific line item shows that the field is filled in and deleting the transaction results in the same error except it prompts for the field for the next to last transaction in the series reported on the broker's 1099-B.

6 80 8387
24 Replies
Returning Member
Feb 21, 2021 2:38:32 PM

replying to bump this thread as I am having the exact same issue

Level 1
Feb 21, 2021 3:01:39 PM

Same issue. I spoke with TurboTax support and they stated that it was a known issue with "Robinhood" and that it should be resolved on or before the February 24. They stated that there will likely be a page that addresses when the problem is solved, although I am unable to find an official page acknowledging the issue at this time. Without this information I was told to just keep trying until the issue was no longer happening.

Returning Member
Feb 21, 2021 3:07:48 PM

Got mine to file! 

With mine, I was getting this error with all transactions that were automatically imported from M1 Finance. To fix it, I removed the automatically imported M1 Finance info completely, and re-entered the information manually. BUT - instead of entering in each sale one by one, I chose to enter sales totals, which was just 1 line on my 1099-B. This ended up allowing me to report the same amount of gains/losses, without the line-by-line details that were causing the issue. When I entered the sales totals amount (proceeds & cost basis totals), it did not require me to enter any dates acquired. After doing this I was able to get it to pass the Federal Review and allow me to file. Hope this helps others.

Level 2
Feb 21, 2021 3:10:49 PM

It's definitely not isolated to Robinhood. My problem was with a different brokerage. 

I did get it working. My guess is that this issue arises when you have a large number of transactions. I had to repeatedly ask the Chrome browser to "Wait" while it loaded the form from the 1099-B. Once it finally loaded, I let the page site idle for some time before pressing continue. Eventually it got itself out of the loop. Patience appears to be key with this...

Level 1
Feb 21, 2021 3:20:33 PM

It finally took my date entry and moved on as well. Seems they may have resolved the issue.

Returning Member
Feb 22, 2021 7:37:43 PM

This is not resolved. I continue to have the same issue. I do have about 700 transactions in this 1099-B and about 800 in another. So it could be a size issue but I know there are people filing with much more than this.

Level 1
Feb 22, 2021 8:42:31 PM

I'm also getting the same issue, is there a fix on the Turbotax side? Or do I need to group all my purchases/sales into one like someone else in this thread recommended?

Level 1
Feb 23, 2021 5:23:28 AM

Mine has been stuck all morning.  The dial isn't even spinning.  Not sure what to do here....

Level 1
Feb 23, 2021 8:41:00 AM

Me too. So I opted for manual entry. There are a few options to wade through, but only a few figures are needed. Worked well then. I deleted my initial entry first.

Level 2
Feb 23, 2021 11:56:13 AM

Same issue here. Nothing happens by waiting and pressing Continue button. Comeback to the same page. Talked with two experts but they could not help. They are aware of the issue. Time to move on to H&R. 

Level 2
Feb 23, 2021 12:05:56 PM

I checked it carefully. It appears that the value I enter into the "Date Acquired" cell is not registering into the form cell number like this (**** is the cell number) (TDACQ****). However, the 1099-B form is filled out correctly.   

Level 2
Feb 23, 2021 6:49:07 PM

same issue here but with Webull. Come on Intuit! I did call them and they said it will be fixed at some point. sigh

Level 2
Feb 23, 2021 7:29:50 PM

okay, I got mine to work. here is the deal. Basically Intuit's "magic" import is definitely NOT magic. The error message is mostly wrong. For me it just picked my last entry and said the Date Acquired field was missing, which it was not for that entry. But what I realized is that for ALL my entries with a DATE Acquired of "VARIOUS", either the date was missing, or the date was completely wrong.

I went through all my entries that have "VARIOUS" for the acquired date and manually fixed them. Many of them had a missing date and many had a wrong date that was sometimes even after the Sold Date, which obviously makes no sense. Luckily, I only have three pages of entries. Probably will take forever, if you have way more. Reimporting, might work but I don't dare try that since I already got it working.

Good luck and What The Heck Intuit!?

Level 2
Feb 23, 2021 7:44:11 PM

And for anyone tempted to just combine all your sales like someone mentioned, you can't do that if you have "Wash Sale Loss Disallowed" sales.

Level 2
Feb 23, 2021 10:07:17 PM

I cannot get it past this point either.

It’s asking me to enter the date acquired for one specific transaction and also to clarify holding period but doesn’t tell me which asset!

Worst part is that I already paid and it won’t let me file!

Level 2
Feb 24, 2021 8:29:32 AM

I gave up and summarize the sells in 8949 and finished e-filing. I mailed form 8453 with attached statement 1099-B. I think it is much better without wasting time. However, I will not be using TurboTax anymore after this. Only reason to use TT to import the transaction. If I have to spend time and mail return better to go with Free options.

Level 2
Feb 24, 2021 10:54:42 PM

Seriously, Intuit. When will this be fixed!? I need my tax return to get a mortgage. This will literally be the last time I use TurboTax. What an absolute disaster of an app.

Millions of people use robinhood, webull, and M1 and we are all having issues with TurboTax!

Level 2
Feb 25, 2021 7:32:32 PM

I am having this same issue as well! I already paid and am about to request a refund because I cannot file. This is getting ridiculous. 

Level 2
Feb 25, 2021 10:11:37 PM

Same issue here.  

So many people have this problem, why don't Turbotax do something? 

At least let us know when it will be solved! 

Level 2
Feb 28, 2021 11:29:57 AM

I have the same experience too!  

Feb 28, 2021 2:52:01 PM

I am having the same issue but with Webull's imported form. I noticed that all of the entries are missing the "Sales section title" which is not set properly. I have four pages of transactions and I am not willing to go over them manually, also it seems that I can't enter the one-line summary since I have "Wash Sale Loss
Disallowed (D)" as another member said in their response. Not sure what to do at this point!

Level 2
Feb 28, 2021 2:54:11 PM

I entered in one line summaries for all the sections (short term covered, long term covered etc) and included wash sale loss disallowed amounts where they were applicable. I then uploaded a copy of my 1099-b. This didn’t take very long actually.

Feb 28, 2021 4:39:58 PM

Ok, I got it to work. As I mentioned in an earlier reply, I could not enter the one-line summary as others suggested since I have a wash sale. So what I did is to go over all transactions that are marked with "various" on my Webull tax document. I got in for each item and I did two things:

1. Select the first option "Short-Term Basis Reported to IRS (covered)" because that is what it says on my Webull document.
  2. For the Date Acquired, I select the second button "Something other than a date", and then the dropdown menu I select "Various (or more than one date)"

I am not sure if the first step is required, but now that I selected it, I have to keep it because I can't unchoose it.

Anyway, now it works! This is of course a painful process and I am now worried about the next year's process. I hope that they will figure something out to automatically detect the "Various" date.

I hope this helps! GLTA!

Mar 2, 2021 6:04:44 PM

So I need to go through and double check that all my imported "dates acquired" match the actual document I got from webull? I'm stuck on the loop of "check this entry" and it's saying my last one is wrong.