Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Nov 16, 2022 9:02:11 AM

Celiac Disease

I was diagnosed with celiac disease and thus all my food is more expensive. Is there a tax break for this?

0 2 113
2 Replies
Employee Tax Expert
Nov 16, 2022 9:09:15 AM

Hi, 

Sorry to hear you suffer from Celiac Disease.  I did find this information from the Celiac Foundation about federal tax deductions.  Note, that you are advised by them to follow the steps below, and I stress that you want a physician's diagnosis and prescription and need to only claim the incremental cost of the GF diet (and keep good records).

Step-by-Step Guide

Step One: Get an official, written diagnosis from your physician and a prescription for a gluten-free diet. You will need to submit this form with your taxes, so make sure to keep a copy for your records.

Step Two: Save your receipts for your gluten-free groceries.

Step Three: Based on the list above, figure out what you can deduct and then start your calculations! You will need to calculate the difference between gluten-free products and non-gluten-free products from the grocery store.

Please cheer below if this helps and good luck with the management. I know it can be tough.

Level 15
Jan 24, 2023 5:47:16 PM

the excess spent is a medical expense. your total medical expenses are first reduced by 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. then your total itemized deductions must exceed your standard deduction to get any tax benefit.