Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 4
posted Jul 19, 2019 10:20:16 AM

Can you please make TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7. I don't want to change my OS just to run TT. Perhaps if enough folks complain, TT will change its ridiculous plan. I've been a user for 20 years and this really ticks me off.

8 127 15146
24 Replies
Level 15
Jul 19, 2019 10:29:27 AM

You are off to a good start. Perhaps others will chime in on this thread.

However, I would be willing to bet that, regardless of whether the software is officially supported, it will install and run just fine on Windows 7 (which is essentially what happened with Windows XP).

Level 15
Jul 19, 2019 10:29:34 AM

Microsoft will implement Windows 7 "end of life" in January 2020, meaning it will discontinue all support, including paid support; and all updates, including security updates.

Level 15
Jul 19, 2019 10:30:45 AM

You can always use TT online.

Not applicable
Jul 19, 2019 11:36:55 AM

we all know the end of life story. but consider how many people would have to replace or upgrade there win 7 computers. in some cases they will be able to upgrade to W10, others won't, which means buying a new computer and probably a lot of other software if such is even available any more. I have a lot of custom designed and off the shelf software which won't run on 10 and the cost to replace it is substantial. Some can not be replaced and I need them for my businesses. I will not spend money just to be able to prepare returns using TT pc version. Intuit can do as it wants, but then I'll be looking at H&R Block or other tax software so see if it will run on 7. I use the pc version and from what I saw win 7 will still work if you use the online versions. the reason I use the pc version is i have many family members for which I prepare their returns - cheaper that paying to establish an online account for each - none of which can use the free version. Intuit should consider how many customers it could loose if it carries through with its plan not to support PC version of TT using win 7.

Level 4
Jul 19, 2019 1:14:54 PM

SJ:  I have no interest in using TT online.  My return is too complex plus I do returns for several family members.

Level 4
Jul 19, 2019 1:21:08 PM

Hackitoff:  Exactly.  After 20 years with TT I hate to switch to another tax program, but TT is forcing my hand.  Win7 is working beautifully for me and I don't want the hassle of changing OS.  That always incurs unexpected problems and it takes days to get everything the way you want it.  And, of course, there's always the issue of certain programs you use all the time suddenly not working on the new OS.  And TT online is simply not a viable option.  My return is too complex, plus I do returns for several family members.

Level 15
Jul 19, 2019 1:25:41 PM

the good news is you don't have a MAC ... they have to upgrade every two years or so and many of the CPUs cannot be upgraded more than once or twice so a new unit needs to be bought ... at least with Windows they allow you to keep an OS for 10+ years.

I doubt that TT will keep Win 7 access for much longer ... even my professional program will required Win 10 for next tax season ... this means I need to upgrade 7 computers by the end of the year.

Level 13
Jul 21, 2019 7:47:41 PM

Your real problem is Microsoft, in that Microsoft brought out Windows 10 but did not make it 100% backward-compatible with Windows 7.

It is very expensive to maintain software on multiple hardware and software platforms - that is why most software companies (not just Intuit) will cease support of their software when Microsoft stops support of the underlying operating system. I say this as someone with 30+ years experience in software development and support.

As noted above, your 2019 TurboTax software may still work fine on Win 10, if it doesn't use any operating systems calls that are unique to Win 10. It is definitely worth trying before you go off and invest time and energy in a new tax product.

Jul 26, 2019 7:29:01 AM

When I received the notification that Windows 7 will not be supported by TT I upgraded to Windows 10 and it has, and is, a train wreck.  It keeps trying to update Windows 10 that was installed and freezes my computer.

Level 15
Jul 26, 2019 8:02:39 AM

For security reasons, there is zero chance that 2019 TurboTax will be supported under Windows 7 because extended support for Windows 7 ends before the filing deadline for 2019 tax returns.

Although a bit cumbersome, there are ways to run TurboTax in a Windows 10 virtual machine running on a Windows 7 host system.

Level 1
Jul 27, 2019 1:16:38 PM

I have the same COMPLAINT -- I too have been using Turbo Tax for years --- Please respond

Level 15
Jul 28, 2019 4:58:03 AM

@williasp    @mrben 

This "Community" is mostly just a bunch of users ( as am I )...and actual TTX staff do not visit here regularly in the off-season, other than to correct some flagged items ( where people have put in personal information for hackers to steal and use).

To send feedback directly to TTX, just start up your TTX 2018 desktop software...go up to the "Help" menu item and there is a feedback selection in that dropdown, to send your comments/requests directly to TTX.

Level 3
Aug 1, 2019 6:14:24 AM

If you still use Windows 7 you need to be concerned with security issues after January 12, 2020.  While you can always use 3rd party programs (other than those than come with Windows 7), Microsoft will STOP providing security updates for Windows 7 after that date.  Support for Windows 7 will end on Jan. 14, 2020.  After that date Microsoft will no longer issue security updates to patch discovered vulnerabilities in the OS.  At that point your exposure to hackers will increase.  I strongly recommend that you upgrade to Windows 10.

Level 3
Aug 1, 2019 6:18:39 AM

Are you aware that you can set up a dual boot on a computer - it is easy to set up and you can find directions on the internet?

Aug 7, 2019 12:07:22 PM

Critter: I've got a 2011 iMac. Running Windows 7 on VMWare Fusion. I run TT on the Mac OS but I could run it on Windows 7 on VMWare just as easily. On 1/1/2020 I will install Windows 10 on the VMWare application. No new machine required in either case.

Level 4
Aug 7, 2019 1:37:10 PM

aircarl:

Thanks for the tip.  I did a little quick research and think I get how to set it up.  Now a basic question.  If I have a dual boot set up on my pc - one Win 7 and one Win 10 - if I boot up with Win 10, will I still see my other programs and will they run on Win 10?  For example, I have Firefox on Win 7 which stores my bookmarks and some login info for various websites.  If I boot in Win 10, will I see Firefox and will it retain all my bookmarks and login info?  Same question for Outlook?  Will all my saved email addresses carry into the Win 10 version?  I'm curious to understand what I'm getting into.  I assume some old programs will not work in Win 10 - that's the downside of any upgrade.

Aug 10, 2019 8:56:01 PM

If you want to get fancy, you can run Windows 10 in a virtual machine under Windows 7 (I have done this).    But this all depends on what Intuit means by  "not supported"; if it means "we are going check for win 7 to make it not run at all" that's pretty extreme;  but if its "we won't even try to support you if you are running on windows 7", then is likely not to actually block people from using it.  Considering that Intuit has not fixed some basic usability problems in the 10 years I've been using it, I doubt they are going to make any significant code changes in the normal course of development to make it NOT work on Win 7.   As of today, I see that independent stats show windows 7 hold 31% of the windows install base (win10 58%, Win 8.1 only 6%).  Seems like a bad business decision to cut off sales to that segment of the market. Plus, Microsoft does patch OSs after the support ends, if the issue is severe; Win XP was patched in May 2019.

Not applicable
Aug 11, 2019 2:02:40 AM

online would be fine for those with one return but how about for a family of 6 - husband wife and 4 adult children who have to file returns.  great for TT's bottom line not so great for family.   

Not applicable
Aug 11, 2019 2:13:04 AM

so.     some are still running win 95 or win xp.     i tried the compatibility check with win 10 and have expensive custom  software that is not compatible.   if TT is willing to reimburse me with the cost (originally in the $ 000's) of replacing this software, I'd be more than happy to migrate to 10.      hope it works even if no support for those running win 7.  if not, dual boot or virtual machine.  of course    

Aug 16, 2019 8:31:26 AM

Microsoft is putting Windows 7, one of the most popular windows versions, to bed. Unfortunately, thousands of people prefer Windows 7 and now will be without support. TurboTax is also one of the most popular tax preparation products on the market and they will have tons of extremely unhappy people if they have to switch to Windows 10 in order to use TT. Hopefully, beginning with the 2019 tax year (in 2020), TurboTax will make some accommodations for all the people who prefer to keep their tried and true, big blue, Windows 7. Thank you for your support!

Aug 22, 2019 8:15:50 PM

I buy TurboTax software from a membership store and get a big cost saving compared to the online version.

Not applicable
Aug 22, 2019 10:44:25 PM

what TT has not made clear is will 2019 be installable on earlier versions of windows just don't ask for support or totally incompatible with earlier versions of windows.  maybe if H&R block software supports win7, I'll move over to it.  It's cheaper but I found more complicated to use.   

i have tried converting. using free software. my win 7 MBR disk to GPT (Win 10 only installs on GPT with an exception when installing on virtual machine) . unfortunately, the free stuff only converts data disks ( those containing no OS) from MBR to GPT.  there is software available for a fee that says it can convert OS disks from MBR to GPT but haven't  tried it.  I would then install 10 in dual boot mode.  the problem with dual boot  - not only do you have to install  10  but drivers for video cards, certain keyboards, mice and printers and other soft

ware.      

2nd option install virtual machine and then install 10 in virtual mode. it will work win 7 MBR disk  but with certain VM's you have the same issue with drivers.   Supposedly, MS VM is a type 1 VM which can access the drivers on the win 7 partition.

3rd I have spare disks and sata ports so I can install 10 as a separate OS.  there would still be need to install drivers and other software and the boot priority would have to be changed back and forth.

4th I work for a CPA firm which allows its people to prepare their returns for free - no e file.  and there is no import from brokerage firms or transfer of data from TT.    

Level 3
Aug 23, 2019 1:13:16 AM
Level 4
Aug 23, 2019 1:10:04 PM

aircarl:  That link is not much help.  I, and I suspect many others, do not wish to use the online version of TT.  I need to do several returns for family members and it's much easier to have the program running right here in front of me.  Also, it's better to have it installed on the pc so you can always go back and fiddle with things at your leisure, including doing "what if" scenarios.