Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Feb 1, 2021 4:52:41 PM

can you choose to file tax independently even if parents support you and can claim you as dependent

Hi

I am 17 years old student with some income (W2), interest income and investment gains.  I am living with my parents and they support my expenses including rent (my income is not enough to support 50% of my expenses) . However, I want to file as an independent (even though they can claim me as dependent, I don't want that). Am I allowed to file as independent and they don't claim me as dependent? )

thank you

0 2 363
2 Replies
Expert Alumni
Feb 1, 2021 5:12:48 PM

Your parents are not required to claim you as their dependent, but you cannot file as a non-dependent just because they don't claim you. You need to list yourself as a dependent of them on your tax return if you qualify as such, as it may affect the taxability of your income.

Level 15
Feb 1, 2021 5:16:23 PM

Since you CAN be claimed as a dependent you MUST indicate that on the tax return EVEN IF  your parents will NOT claim you as a dependent.  If you do not then you are filing a fraudulent return  ESPECIALLY if you are trying to get the stimulus credit illegally.