Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 3
posted Mar 25, 2024 7:13:21 PM

Can turbotax online read turbotax destop saved file (.tax2023)?

I already bought my turbo tax desktop with my family and get most of my tax done.  And I just noticed Fidelity offered me a complementary turboTax online premium. I would like to give it a try to see if I will get different result from the online version but I don't want to input everything from scratch, especially not the carried over losses from rental properties and stocks. 

I was wondering if there is a way for turboTax online to read the .tax2023 file....

0 2 641
2 Replies
Level 15
Mar 25, 2024 7:14:47 PM

Sorry, you cannot move a *.tax2023 data file from desktop software into Online TurboTax to continue working on it.  It only works the other way around.

Level 15
Mar 25, 2024 7:38:01 PM

For future reference, be aware that Fidelity also offers its clients a discount on the desktop software. Some Fidelity users get a 20% discount offer while others get an offer of the desktop product for only $5, which is a bargain.   And it's sometimes unpredictable which clients get which offers at Fidelity. The offer can change from year-to-year, so you have to drill down on the details each year.    Some other brokerages and other financial institutions, travel clubs, insurance companies, etc. may also offer a discount as affiliate partners with TurboTax.