Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Apr 6, 2024 6:08:01 AM

Can't eFile from Singapore

Hi,

While trying to eFile, I'm getting the following message This is the Request "Form 1099-R (CHARLES SCHWAB & CO., INC.): Recipient state abbreviation is invalid. You must use standard U.S. postal abbreviations.  "

I found that some previous have faced the same the same issue and the workaround is to go to myinfo and switch to US address to clean any residual US address information.  Work around from 2019 is apparently as follows:

• Return to the My Info section and select the Edit next to your mailing address
  • Change the mailing address drop-down box from Foreign address back to US address
  • You may see part of your US address still there (i.e City Name) - remove any US entries still present
  • Change the drop-down box back to Foreign address from US address
  • Reenter your current foreign address and continue to file your return 

I tried the above steps but am still facing the same problem. Why would TurboTax's worksheet stopped us from filing with a foreign address?  Can someone help?

Thanks in advance.

0 1 1705
1 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 6, 2024 6:41:00 AM

It depends. In some cases e-file is allowed with a foreign address.  See the information in the link below for additional information and keep in mind the IRS does have requirements we must meet to be eligible for e-file ability.

TurboTax will walk you through the process and let you know if you can e-file.  If not,  a paper return must be mailed with an address provided.