Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 3:19:50 PM

Can someone explain why my return is over $500 less this year than last year, and my income only increased by $2898?

I do not believe that I am in a higher tax bracket this year. I am single, with one dependent and filing HOH.

0 3 558
3 Replies
Level 7
Jun 4, 2019 3:19:51 PM

Without being able to view your return, it's impossible to say exactly what caused your refund to decrease. However, there's a high probability that at least one reason is listed below.

If your refund is wildly off, it's possible you simply mistyped a dollar amount somewhere. An extra digit here, a missing number there, even something as seemingly insignificant as a misplaced decimal point can have an eye-popping effect on your TurboTax refund.

Changes in your income or tax rate

• You (or your spouse) took on an additional job (especially non-wage income which is taxed at the higher self-employment tax rate);
  • Your salary or wages increased but your W-4 stayed the same;
  • You sold investments but didn't take out any taxes from the sale;
  • Your filing status changed from last year;
  • You started receiving Social Security benefits or Roth IRA distributions;
  • You received taxable unemployment income;
  • You had gambling winnings;
  • You're paying a penalty for not having health insurance coverage in 2017.
Loss of credits or deductions

See Why Did My Refund Go Down From Last Year?

Jun 4, 2019 3:19:53 PM

My income only increased by $2898. My W-4 did stay the same, but would a $2898 increase in salary really effect my return that much? Other than that slight change in salary, I have had zero changes from last year.

Level 7
Jun 4, 2019 3:19:54 PM

The $500 difference is !7% of your increase in income-doesn't seem like an unreasonable difference depending on your total income.