Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 25, 2024 8:05:55 AM

Can I select head of household? I am unmarried but live with my significant other, I pay more than 50% of rent, and I have no dependents.

0 2 452
2 Replies
Level 15
Mar 25, 2024 8:10:41 AM

No, your filing status is Single.  For head of household you must have a qualifying person as a dependent on your tax return and you must have provided over one-half the cost to maintain the home.

Expert Alumni
Mar 25, 2024 8:22:18 AM

Likely, you may not.  The qualifying person for Head of Household purposes is a child, parent, or relative who meets certain conditions (see below).  See also here.

A taxpayer may qualify for Head of Household filing status if you:

• Were unmarried as of December 31, 2023 and
  • Paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home during the tax year (rent, mortgage, utilities, etc.), and
  • Supported a qualifying person.

The conditions are stricter than those for claiming a dependent.  For example, you might be able to claim a roommate as your dependent, but not as a qualifying person for Head of Household status.

A qualifying child would be:

• Your child (including legally adopted), stepchild, foster child, sibling, half-sibling, step-sibling, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild or niece) AND
  • Permanently and totally disabled OR under the age of 19 as of December 31, 2023 (under 24 if a full-time student) and younger than you (or your spouse, if filing jointly) AND
  • Lived with you for more than half the year AND
  • Single (or if the child is married, you'd have to qualify to claim them as a dependent even if you're not going to claim them as such).

A child that is too old to qualify as a child might be able to qualify as a relative for Head of Household. A qualifying relative would be:

• Your mother or father (including your stepfather or stepmother), if you're qualified to claim them as a dependent (even if you're not claiming them as such) OR
  • A relative related by blood, legal adoption, or marriage other than a parent (see the full list of qualifying relatives below) AND lived with you for more than half the year AND that you're able to claim as a dependent (even if you're not claiming them as such).
    • Qualifying relatives:
      • Your brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, or stepsister
      • Your grandparent, or other direct ancestor, but not foster parent
      • A son or daughter of your brother or sister
      • A son or daughter of your half brother or half sister
      • A brother or sister of your father or mother
      • Your son-in-law, daughter-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law

@aidacastro93