Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 15, 2024 8:21:01 AM

Can I remove a dependent from my return if she is not my dependent this year and I don’t have her ssn?

I am going through paternity process right now and have not had the child as a dependent so I filed her as not a dependent. She is still on my profile from last year but I don’t have access to her ssn and can’t file without it. I need to remove her from my profile or bypass her ssn. What do I do?

0 2 836
2 Replies
Level 15
Oct 15, 2024 8:24:19 AM

In the My Info section of the TurboTax online editions, you can delete her as a dependent.

Level 15
Oct 15, 2024 8:38:14 AM

how did you file in 2022 since it should not have bren possible to claim her without her SSN.

anyway, on the personal info tab if she's listed as a dependent click on edit then click on delete then yes

go back to the personal info tab, where you're listed click on edit only if your filing status is wrong. it should either be single, if you have no qualifying dependents or head of household if you do. if you need to change it continue through the pages until you get to the one where your filing status is listed and change to correct one. 

if no change required your done