Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Oct 23, 2022 5:22:43 AM

Can I e-file 2020 amendment through TurboTax online or desktop/download version? I updated the software, I only get mailing/printing out option.

0 4 274
1 Best answer
Level 15
Oct 23, 2022 5:28:51 AM

NO ... prior year amendments must be mailed in when using a DIY program.  Only some professional tax program can allow efiling for prior year returns. 

4 Replies
Level 15
Oct 23, 2022 5:28:51 AM

NO ... prior year amendments must be mailed in when using a DIY program.  Only some professional tax program can allow efiling for prior year returns. 

Level 15
Oct 23, 2022 6:30:51 AM

Your amended 2020 return cannot be e-filed using TurboTax.   It can only be filed by mail.  Expect a long wait for the IRS to process it.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six to nine  months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

Level 1
Oct 23, 2022 6:39:42 AM

Do you know which tax program let you e-file 2020 year amendment? I have a notice from IRS and I need to file immediately. 

Level 15
Oct 23, 2022 6:42:54 AM

Only some professional programs will allow efiling of a prior year amended return but only if the original return was also efiled.