Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 12:37:28 PM

Are the payments to Medicare pre-tax or post tax?

0 4 5343
4 Replies
Level 15
Jun 4, 2019 12:37:30 PM

Deducted from your paycheck or premiums you pay out of your Social Security check or pay on your own?  Premiums you pay (including from your SS) can be an Itemized Deduction on Schedule A.

Jun 4, 2019 12:37:32 PM

I don't understand the comment. If the payment for Medicare was pre-tax then it would reduce the taxable income. If not pre-tax it would not.

Level 15
Jun 4, 2019 12:37:33 PM

Sorry.  Didn’t understand your question.  It is post tax (after tax) out of your paycheck.  So not pre-tax.

Level 8
Jun 4, 2019 12:37:34 PM

@eepjr1

Whether you have your Medicare B premiums, and possibly your Medicare D or C premiums, paid from your Social Security income, or instead you write a check or have the premium automatically debited from your bank account, or have the premiums paid through charges on your credit card, the payments, in any of these modes, can be considered, I suppose if you need a lable, post-tax.   So all of the premiums are deductible on Schedule A to the extent that the total exceeds 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income.  

The point you may be misconstruing is that if you had or have a Medical Savings Account (MSA) as an example, medical expenses if paid out of those designated and separately set-aside funds are monies that are not subject to income tax to the extent that you expend them for the designated purpose.  For more information on the two types of medical expense savings accounts, see here ==>>

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2895072-can-i-deduct-medical-costs-paid-through-my-hsa-or-msa