Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Apr 8, 2018 1:46:58 PM

after realizing I didnt need to file a state return, i deleted it but its still showing up

after realizing i didnt need to file a GA state return due to the fact that my husband works in FL and that state does not require you to file a state return so i then deleted it from my account several times but every time i log into my account, its still showing up there. can someone please help me with this?

0 5 2375
5 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 8, 2018 2:09:09 PM

If you reside in Georgia, then you will need to file Georgia state taxes, regardless of where you earned the income.

Level 3
Apr 8, 2018 4:14:03 PM

It sounds like maybe that's your only family income - your husband's earnings in FL. However if you have any earnings in GA including interest and dividends (even if earned elsewhere, if you reside in GA), then you should look at whether you need to file. Also remember that you need to file a state return if needed to claim back any state income tax withheld that you should not have paid.

Returning Member
Apr 9, 2018 2:59:33 AM

ok im alittle confrused....so youre saying i only need to file a state return only if "I" myself, earned any other income within the state of GA correct? but thing is, you had it right at the beginning....my husband's earned income came only from the state of FL and they dont withhold state taxes and therefor states that a person is not required to file a state return, this i learned just earlier.

Returning Member
Apr 9, 2018 3:08:58 AM

as i stated in a previous reply, the thing that i most recently learned was this ...my husband's earned income came only from the state of FL and they dont withhold state taxes and therefor, i was told that a person is not required to file a state return in this case plus I am a stay at home mom so therefor, i do not work. so my question to you would be this, if the FL W2 shows no state taxes withheld, then what reason is there to file for?

Expert Alumni
Apr 17, 2018 10:06:32 AM

If you are  a full year resident of Georgia you are taxed on all income regardless of the source or where derived. This requirement applies as long as your legal residence is Georgia, even if you are absent or live outside the State temporarily.A credit for taxes paid to another State is allowed. Since Florida doesn't tax you this wouldn't apply. But a Georgia return is required.