Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 1, 2019 1:12:37 PM

After preparing w2 on turbotax do I still need to mail them out to the employee's after e-filing?

I have a small business. I purchased the home and small business turbotax software. I noticed you can prepare W2's and 1099's on the software and e-file it for free. Does this mean I no longer have to physically mail out the W2's to each employee since I e-filed them? Or do I still need to mail out a copy of their W2's?

0 1 291
1 Best answer
Jun 1, 2019 1:12:38 PM

Yes. You must print all Forms W-2 and distribute them to your employees. This should be done by January 31 of the year after wages were paid.

E-filing of Forms W-2/W-3 and Forms 1099/1096 only files with the appropriate government agencies. The employer must still mail copies to all recipients.

1 Replies
Jun 1, 2019 1:12:38 PM

Yes. You must print all Forms W-2 and distribute them to your employees. This should be done by January 31 of the year after wages were paid.

E-filing of Forms W-2/W-3 and Forms 1099/1096 only files with the appropriate government agencies. The employer must still mail copies to all recipients.