Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Apr 15, 2024 3:33:15 PM

Additional medicare tax issue with Turbotax

My employer paid the correct amount of medicare tax and additional medicare tax for me throughout 2023, as shown in the W-2.  However, TurboTax is automatically adding an additional medicare tax to the sum total of "taxes owed", which means the additional medicare tax will be paid twice if I submit my TurboTax return.  Please advise how to remove the Turbotax-added additional medicare tax amount from my filing/documentation before I submit this electronically to the IRS today.

0 4 2725
4 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 15, 2024 3:40:28 PM

Additional Medicare tax is a separate tax from the Medicare deducted through payroll.  This tax, enacted in 2013 is 0.9% and added to tax returns showing earned income above the following thresholds:

Single, head of household, and qualifying surviving spouse $200,000

Married filing jointly $250,000

Married filing separately $125,000

For purposes of this tax "earned income" consists of wages, bonuses, tips, certain noncash fringe benefits, and net income from self-employment.   

Returning Member
Apr 15, 2024 3:46:46 PM

Not correct.  Per the Form 8959 Instructions (https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8959 :(  "Your employer is responsible for withholding the 0.9% Additional Medicare Tax on your Medicare wages or RRTA compensation paid in excess of $200,000 in a calendar year. Your employer is required to begin withholding Additional Medicare Tax in the pay period in which your wages or compensation for the year exceed $200,000 and continue to withhold it in each pay period for the remainder of the calendar year."

My W2 Box 6 shows an amount of medicare tax paid that equals (1) 1.45% x the Box 5 medicare wages/tips plus (2) the 0.9% of the amount over $200,000

Level 15
Apr 15, 2024 3:53:19 PM

Here's an old note I have so the 1040 line #s will be different.  Maybe it help.  

If you have a lot of investments there is an extra Medicare tax on Schedule 2 line 8 which goes to 1040 line 15.  That is offset with an extra amount on line 17 with withholding.

Expert Alumni
Apr 15, 2024 3:54:10 PM

The additional income tax withholding will be applied against the taxes shown on your tax return, including any Additional Medicare Tax liability.   The tax gets reported on Form 8959.