Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jan 17, 2020 8:32:17 AM

2017 Taxes

How can I file my 2017 taxes?

0 3 636
3 Replies
Level 15
Jan 17, 2020 8:36:06 AM

Online preparation and e-filing for 2018 is permanently closed.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2016, 2017, or 2018 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.

Level 1
Jan 17, 2020 8:39:42 AM

What if you never got W2 form from your employer. My friend was doing a job in a restaurant and they don't give w2 to anyone

What anyone should do if they have not got any w2 for 2 years

Intuit Alumni
Jan 20, 2020 12:08:00 PM

If your friend was an Employee and NOT a contractor, their employer is required to provide their employees with a W2. 

Here is a great link that provides the next steps to obtain the missing W2 and additional suggestions if you are unable to obtain the missing W2(s):  

What to do if I have not received by W2?

(If your friend was actually a contractor and no taxes were withheld from the amount they were paid, a W2 would likely not be required, but the employer may have other filing requirements.)