Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 31, 2018 8:26:18 AM

1099-misc, box 7: sporadic income?

I am very confused about whether or not to report non-employee compensation (box 7) from two 1099-misc that I received as "other income" or to pay self-employment taxes.

The back-story: I am a veterinarian. Last year, I was contacted by a friend that needed someone to cover a few days at their clinic while they went out of town. I obliged. Later in the year, I was contacted by an acquaintance at another clinic with a similar situation. Again, I filled in a couple of shifts. I was compensated for my time and I received two 1099-misc with non-employee compensation with a total amount of $4750.

The issue: I do not consider myself to be self-employed. I did not advertise or seek out this work. I have since left private practice and am in another field of veterinary medicine and I will not be doing this kind of work again in the future. It was limited to two times.

Do I need to pay SE tax on this income? I am confused because although it falls into my line of work, it seems more like sporadic activity to me.

0 3 1178
3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 2, 2018 1:42:05 PM

Unfortunately, this income is directly related to your line of work/profession and is appropriately included in your self-employment earnings. It does not matter that you do not intend to repeat the service. The IRS will regard this freelance or a side gig monies and expect to see it on a schedule C. Do take any allowable expense deductions to reduce the net income amount subject to the self-employment tax.

Apr 7, 2018 4:09:19 PM

I also received payment from an employer on a 1099-MISC. The only box filled out is box 7, but now I can't file? What have I done wrong?

Expert Alumni
Apr 8, 2018 9:50:15 AM

@PCarlucci81 Run the review tab to see what error is flagged. If you have a 1099-MISC with box 7 income, you need to include it under a Schedule C business. If you entered it in another section, it needs to be linked to your business.